Tranny Leak Poll

Guest jlburgess

Do you have a gear oil leak in the transmission?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a gear oil leak in the transmission?

• I have a 00/01 model that has never leaked.
    • I have a 02 or later model that has never leaked.
    • I have a 00/01 model that leaked but was fixed with a reseal.
    • I have a 02 or later model that was fixed with a reseal.
    • I have a 00/01 model that has or had a cracked case.
    • I have a 02 or later model that has or had a cracked case.
    • I'm not sure where the transmission is.

You have missed another option, How many 00-01 Sports had the trans leak repaired and are still leaking. After leaving my bike three different times for having the leak repaired, the trans still leaks. I had two different leaks, one from the rear of the transmission (reseal fixed this one the second time around) and also one from the side cover behind the starter (where a pin is pressed into the sidecover). Humm, maybe they can fix it when my bike goes in for the recall.

Mike

Same here. My 02 weeps from somewhere around lower part of plate that holds selector mechanism, pos shift seal or some other fixing on the plate. Reseal didn't fix. Not enough to worry about.

KB, Cymru :sun:

Yes, maybe a vote for " 00-01 leaks like a sieve from every known point."

There are several known points of breach but the worst is the potential case crack. This fluid shows up inboard of the shifter to drip on the left rear of the crossover. Hopefully the frane brace will help that crack tendency.

Here is a picture of the side cover behind the starter. The leak is coming from the pressed in pin above the neutral safty switch. I have all types of neat stains on my Stucchi crossover and a cool smell of 90 weight that only a Harley rider could love. This is a picture after I picked up my bike from the dealer after it sat there for three weeks. They replaced the speedo and the neutral safty switch (left the rubber cover off the connection and did not even atempt to fix the trans leak, I guess they couldn't find it :homer: ).

Mike

• Like 1

you're in luck! That's the easy drip to stop.

There is another shaft like that just above the one visible. They are both accessible with the starter removed.

Clean the recess with some high flash point solvent and a q-tip. Once dry fill the area with some hi-temp RTV silicone.

I made a plug for my lower pin from a Honda timing cover plug. The case contour on the upper pin won't hold a plug. but really the RTV treatment is tidy, easy and effective.

Also, when inspecting the gearbox look carefully for the 6-speed gremlin. It is reported to look something like this: :thing:

• 2 weeks later...

Just on this subject one of the very few V11's I have anything to do with belongs to a short, hairy, wog from Yass about 60Kms away. Due to warranty issues etc. he's tied into having his work done by the clowns who sold him the bike. Last weekend he dropped over and told me the source of the mysterious gearbox leek he had was that the clot who'd given it its first service had filled the oil to the bottom of the window with the bike on its side stand! :stupid:

With this level of advanced product knowledge and undertanding Guzzi will go far in Oz! :angry:

He drained off the excess and? Voila! No more leak! Jesus H christ on a bicycle!!!!!!!

Pete

Very true about my (thankfully short-lived) oil leak - and, no, it wasn't excess olive oil from my lunchtime salad, but gen-u-ine stinky gearbox oil!

I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from but, luckily, getting the dealer to reduce the oil level to the correct level solved the problem.

This short, hairy wog from Yass (cheers Peter!) is happy again!

I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Guest captain nemo

Yep, have the y2k and it has NEVER leaked. Just been all over it too and there is no sign of it ANYWHERE. This one's a keeper.

Guest captain nemo

I'm on for the gearbox, but they tell me not the connecting rods or the cush drive. Isn't there one for cush drive also? Anyway, I'm gonna ask them what they are using for seal and I'm going to buy yamabond for them if they don't have it. Of course, like always, they will insist that what they have is better.

Tranny, cush drive, all in the same recall.

The cush drive has an updated spacer and other thingy. (hows that for technical jargon)

Suppose to help with drivetrain slop. Can't tell yet as 12 inches of snow just dumped here.

Yamabond, Hondabond or Threebond 1104 (what I used) is all the same. Good stuff.

I get to buy a new transmission case and rear cover. Quality of casting too poor to be heli-arced. Oh well. At least my head is on it's way back from Mike Rich. No oil leak in it either, so now I get to look somewhere else for the leak.