electrical again

andy york

Well now , once again it seems my 30amp fuse has decided to heat up

I already have a seperate 30amp fuse with 14gauge wire and now this has melted and

gone bad.

I can't remeber all the conclusions we came to on this problem, but I am beginning to think

there is a flaw in the Italian Wiring.(LOL)

Anyway , I wonder if i have another voltage regulator thats gone bad?

chime in anytime Roy & Docc.....I'll be in the garage -)

andy

If the plastics discloured or melted it's due to the clip not gripping the fuse tight enough, it happened to mine also.

Although it only passes an average of about 10 Amps the current peaks are around 30

Heat (Watts) = Current squared x Resistance

Just clean the contacts with some emery paper and try to bend them to get more tension.

Are you running a 30a Maxi-fuse in a 14 ga wire dedicated to the charging system ? If so , go to NAPA or a auto parts store and buy another fuse holder ....

When the fuse holder gets loose or dirty it will not handle the current, this has happened on the bike I have now and a previous one, my solution is to cut the wires off under the fuse holder and solder them together, no more problems.

Some people have removed the stock fuse/holder setup and go with a Maxi-fuse holder/holder . They are about 5 Xs larger than these fuses . Someone on here has done it and has a picture. If you can't find it , Google Maxi-fuse / holders to see. 

What they should have used from the beginning.

Docc has the maxi fuse setup...I guess he's on his way back from Barber.

I can't find the maxi fuse holder in town.I can find the fuses but not the holder.

Pep Boys,Autozone,O"Riellys"s,chilton....nada.

I'll keep lookingIs there a relay in this particular circuit ? I'm thinking its time for my yearly relay tuneup.-))

Yes it is sort of toasted isn't it.

I doubt you will ever get the fuse-holder to grip after that you need to replace all the components.

Perhaps just use a couple of spade connectors on a new fuse then tape it up.

Hi! Yeah just back from Barber's Vintage Festival. More on that later . . .

Here's the post on the MAXI fuse - no more trouble after that installation, but again, even the holders I added externally for the standard fuse melted or burned off with out blowing the fuse, I wish i could remember where I got the MAXI holder (thought it was O'Reilly's).