Pirelli Report

docc

Back to Pirelli tyres,  I just bought a new Angel ST, has "Made in China" printed on it.  is this the usual place of manufacture?

All of my Pirelli say "Made in Germany". We know Pirelli is owned by Metzler, ja?

Nein. Andersrum.

I had never heard this. Perhaps it is I who  got it 'andersrum.' :blush:

Could be so, yes, since 1986.

A nice overview to be found here:

Brands, Flag Brands, Associate Brands

Language is German, the system is easy though. Going down the list you'll find Pirelli -> Metzeler -> Ceat, Courier, Armstrong.

The site also claims that last years tyres, resp. the tools, often are sold out under one of the associated brands (mostly car types, of course)

Hubert

• Like 1

I put a pair of Maxxis Sport on my V11 Le-Mans. im getting 2 rears to one front at 1500 miles on each rear. Good grip and stable at high speed but going to try Angels next...

Interesting data Docc. Like you I was a big fan of the Pirelli Strada (~ 9,000 km from a rear and ~13,000 km from a front) and plan to try the GT's once these howling Metzeler Z6's are toast ...

Gio

• 1 month later...

Grrrr...I'd asked for an angel gt front, but the shop fitted an st !!! NOT happy, but it's not worth another hours driving to get the gt ordered / fitted . I'm hoping you guys will tell me there really isn't much difference ( feel free to lie). The last tyre was an st, at 4000 km the edges were shredded but the centre was nearly new. Is the EDGE wear really that different between the gt / st ( centre wear is irrelevant where I ride).

Haven't fitted a GT front yet (won't be long), so I am also looking forward to seeing the difference on the edge wear. Left sides typically scrub off quicker here in The States.

The improvement in the rear was notable, so I am hoping the front will equally impress!

• 1 month later...

Curious to know why you went from the 170 recommended in the manual to a 160.

I'm thinking of going with the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Thoughts?

:race: I just went with the Dunlop Q3s. I love them. Nice and sticky. Great in the corners and very stable coming out of the turns. I just put them on so won't know how long they will last but I think it won't be long as you know, sticky means go away quick. I figured for $200 shipped and no tax for the set ( I mount my own tires as the shops around here too often scratch the rims ) , I would give them a try. I'll let you know how I make out. :mg:

Leon :oldgit:

Curious to know why you went from the 170 recommended in the manual to a 160.

I'm thinking of going with the Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Thoughts?

The 1999-2001 Sports and Rosso Mandello have 4.5 inch rims. While they were delivered with 170 rear tires, the general consensus has been that it is a little too wide for the rim which affects its profile making it more 'peaked" in the center. Viewing the sidewall in this configuration shows the sidewall angling inward to mount on the rim. The 160 looks more "normal" on the rim (not pinched on),  giving a rounder profile to the contact surfaces.

While I found cornering transitions much smoother with the 160 it also lowered the rear that much more, so getting the ride height and sag set is still critical.

From the 2002 Long Frame on, the rear rim is 5.5 inches and came with a 180 tire. Yet, some have found the same issues and dropped to a 170 on the 5.5 inch rim.