Pirelli Report

docc

From the 2002 Long Frame on, the rear rim is 5.5 inches and came with a 180 tire. Yet, some have found the same issues and dropped to a 170 on the 5.5 inch rim.

I have a 2000 Ducati Monster and the only time I had a 180 rear tire that worked well was a Pirelli track tire (used). The stock 180 and a Dunlop I tried all made it turn slower. I switched to a 170 and it was night and day .... however I did have to raise the rear suspension and drop the forks slightly.

Same on my V11 ...... it just works sooooo much better with a 160. I'll need new tires this spring so I am glad for all the great feedback here! 

Interesting, I didn't think about the ride height aspect... I will be slightly lowering the front when I install the GSXR forks. That along with a 170 tire should put a lot more of the weight up towards the front of the bike. But I guess then the tradeoff is a more "pointy" profile? Currently I have a 160 in the rear from the previous owner's setup, they are Conti Sport Attacks.

I'm really getting along well with this tire, my only complaint thus far is I've only put about 600 miles on it. I also wish I would have ponied up and replaced the front too (which has a lot of tread left) but I'm cheap.

Back to Pirelli tyres,  I just bought a new Angel ST, has "Made in China" printed on it.  is this the usual place of manufacture?

They wouldn't dare this in Germany, at least it would surprise me. I'm quite sure this would remarkably affect their sale numbers.

Actually I have the AVON Storm 3D X-M on my bike. 180 on a 5,5 rim. After years of 160s I can't say I would have noticed any negative effect on rideability, be it agility or high speed stability.

The last set were Conti Road Attack II. Good tyres, as most others probably, but sadly dissapointing in rain and in terms of durability.

The Avons I couldn't really challenge last season, the last three weeks being cold and wet on dirty roads, but so far they feel promising.

Hubert

I'll need new tires this spring so I am glad for all the great feedback here! 

Of all of the Sport Touring type tires that I've used I think the best handling were Conti Road Attacks, but as Hubert mentioned they didn't last as long as I'd like.

The best combination of long life and good handling has been the Michelin Pilot Road 3, but they are the most expensive tires that I've tried. 

I might try the Conti Road Attack 2 GT next as it's supposed to last longer than the regular Road Attack 2.

That Pilot Road 3 on the rear of Greenie is down to the wear bars. Maybe 5k miles.  Doesn't seem like good mileage to me compared to my other Michelins.  The ride on I-40 back from Nashville probably contributed to center channel wear.

That Pilot Road 3 on the rear of Greenie is down to the wear bars. Maybe 5k miles.  Doesn't seem like good mileage to me compared to my other Michelins.  The ride on I-40 back from Nashville probably contributed to center channel wear.

It couldn't have been that howlin' burn-up across the Cherohala . . . :whistle:

C'mon Doccc.....  I might be a flatlander but I was going quick enough on the Cherohala to work the edge rather than the middle of the tire.   I am sure that we were all within the speed limits. 

C'mon Doccc.....  I might be a flatlander but I was going quick enough on the Cherohala to work the edge rather than the middle of the tire.   I am sure that we were all within the speed limits. 

Ha - fun road to work the edges down! I think you did it justice. :race:

I-40 west of Nashville would be like riding on a treadmill. The sacrifice a mid-westerner must make to revel in those Appalachian twisties!

my plan was to ride back through the Ozark like I did on the way out but to spend an extra day or two sport riding.  But getting that ticket in Harrison Ark on my way to your place made me gun shy.  And until I got the ticket settled, I thought that riding with interstate traffic would be the safest way to avoid another ticket.  

Luckily I was able to keep it off my driving record- they just wanted the money$.

I might just trailer or take the RV to the next raid.  

• 10 months later...

I just got the Pirelli Angel GTs delivered today. But mounting will have to wait at least till next week - when I should be able to get a suitable bike stand.

Based on some comments, it seems that those who tried the narrow tires are pleased with the result, though some people talked about ride height differences and changing the front end to compensate.

The stock tire is 180/55R17 and I ordered the narrower 170, which is 170/60R17.  If I understand it correctly, the height of the 180 is 99 (180 x .55) and the height of the 170 is 102 (170 x .60). Given that the 170 will spread out a bit more compared to the 180, which would have more of a peak on the same rim, it seems that would make their final heights about equal.

Am I missing something here?