Trans. Oil

czakky

Yeah, it's dizzying the array of RedLine product. You won't be disappointed in what you have there.

The "ShockProof" series are, as I understand

The numbers are for illustration only, they could be off. But that is the concept as I recall.

Plus, they have a lovely milkshake appearance; the LW being blue, the HW: red (or "pink"). I suspect the RL product you have looks like "oil" (amber ?), although we've used some RL gearoil in the BMW cars that looks red and clear like automatic transmission fluid.

• 1 year later...

@Docc: Is this the lightweight oil that you use in the gearbox?

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58404-Lightweight-Oil/dp/B000CPI5YG/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=09JN74NG6DJBF8S6QKT9

Do you use the same in the final drive, or do you use the heavyweight there?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI5XW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I saw that some people are happy with the Redline heavy shockproof in the transmission. In one thread, the heavy oil solved a leaky transmission problem. 

Also - do you change these oils every 6,000 miles per the manual's specified intervals, or do you let them go longer? 

Docc-

I made he mistake of getting the blue stuff for my EV (5 speed).  It's way too light.  I drained it and saved it.  Are you saying it;s the right weight for the Sport?  I just discovered the issue with the EV was the shift linkage, glad to have that one fixed.

(OK, I could check the Owner's Manual but it's much easier just to ask you.   :grin: )

I use this. plus some moly. I know the moly is only spec. for the bevelbox, but I figure it can only help in the trans., as well.

All I can add is that for me the light (blue) did weep very slightly out of the trans.

I did some research and found out that "v-twin transmission oil" is the exact same as "heavy shockproof" available at Cycle Gear. This is what I use and keeps me weep proof.

@Docc: Is this the lightweight oil that you use in the gearbox?

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58404-Lightweight-Oil/dp/B000CPI5YG/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=09JN74NG6DJBF8S6QKT9

Do you use the same in the final drive, or do you use the heavyweight there?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI5XW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I saw that some people are happy with the Redline heavy shockproof in the transmission. In one thread, the heavy oil solved a leaky transmission problem. 

Also - do you change these oils every 6,000 miles per the manual's specified intervals, or do you let them go longer? 

Yes,  I use that blue Lightweight in the gearbox. Somehow, I like seeing that blue color in the sight glass, and the box shifts well with it with no leaks. Lucas products are also fabulous.

My gearbox woes, dripping and leaking and two or three years of misery getting it fixed, led me to abandon the Heavyweight in the bevel box (trasmissione posteriore). I really felt that I repeatedly overfilled the Heavyweight since so much of it clings inside and that contributed to higher pressures and leaks. My mistake as I kept refilling by volume; but even using the level plug could be unreliable when the lubricant is that amazingly thick.

That said, I've used various lubricants over the years in this bike. With "normal" gear oils, I adhered to the 6,000 mile/ 10.000km  service interval, but with the RedLine I've gone twice that.