Fuel tank chin pad delete

MixxedupMedia

Has anyone come up with a way to do away with the chin pad? I'm not a big fan of it, even the carbon fiber version that came on my Scura. Seems to me that it ruins the lines of what is otherwise a very nicely shaped tank.

For example, have you crafted a small pouch to fit the void?

Or filled the depression, creating a clean-looking tank?(  From the shape of the depression and how the fuel filler stands proud, I'm not sure if you could actually get clean, fair lines. )

Last, have you swapped out the tank with another one, other than the pricey aluminum tank option. if so, what will fit with little or no modification?

MotoGuzziMay2013006_zps3d669d5a.jpg

The change to the frame geometry is on the site here somewhere.

I've read it but I don't remember what production date it was. Search around and you'll find it.

I'm thinking you might not follow my comment - my meaning was if your bike has the internal fuel pump, the later model tank would fit. But, since your bike has an external pump - then I'm not so sure that a later model tank (one with an internal fuel pump) would fit your bike. I don't have any direct experience with the early models. Someone more knowledgeable then me on that point should reply.

I recently posted some pictures of my tank and pump in a thread about a leak. Take a look at these and you can see how it is different from your Scura.

Good luck.

I've got the external fuel pump.

That's good news. I'll look for a later model tank.  Any idea at what point the frame geometry changed? 

Don't worry about going by model years. An external pump has the chin pad & the internal pump does not.

I think the red frame to black frame is when the frame/swingarm dimensions changed.

Well, 2002. (The 2001 Rosso Mandello has a black short frame AFAIK). So, the 2002 Scura has the longer frame but with the earlier tank. (Long frames can be easily identified by the tubular brace coming forward from the bottom-back of the gearbox to the bottom-back of the engine case.)

Really interesting that a later (internal pump/no chin pad) 2003-2005 tank might fit the earlier frame.

Might fit. Why wouldn't it?

so all the tanks are the same dimensions, the only difference is the internal fuel pump & the chin pads?

i've often wondered about the folks who have the fork tubes hit the tank at full stop. my '02 has 11/16 (or 14mm) clearance. is this an ethanol problem or does the short frame cause the fork tubes to be closer to the tank? or is this just a red herring?

and i suspect i'm getting fairly close to hijacking this thread, & i apologize for this. 

steve

AFAIK, no one has tried to fit a later (US2003-2005) tank to an earlier model. Notably, the frame had already been changed before the later tank was fitted. It makes me think it would sit right on. It would be the most sano solution for Mixxedupmedia's desire to eliminate the chin pad. There are some really beautiful '03-'05 tanks.

Whether only the earliest RedFrame/RM frames would allow tank touch from the forks, and how much ethanol has contributed to this known issue, there are some variables . . .

My take would be an equation like:  Acerbis tank + ethanol =  badness.

If you soak your girlfriend's nylons in the vodka and they don't fit in the morning, don't say I didn't warn you . . .  :o 

I have several spare tanks and have tried the non chin pad on my 2000 green V11 which has the chin pad version as standard.

I intend to fit the later tank when I get a chance as I think the external pump version has very messy feed hose arrangement.

Any way the later tank will fit you just need to elongate the rear mount point to allow the slip nut to line up with the later tank. 

There isnt much in it, I measured the mount point dimensions of both types and there was a 3 mm difference. I believe the later one was longer from memory but it could also be just a natural variation in the manufacture of the tanks.

Ciao

Ha, love the solution, fotoguzzi!

I have considered wrapping the pad in brown leather, and doing my seat in the same material. Might tie it all together. But my first choice is to try another tank.

If anyone in the USA has a tank they'd like to sell, do send me a PM. Thanks to all for the advice. This is my first MG and I've got a lot to learn. 

Ha, love the solution, fotoguzzi!

This is my first MG and I've got a lot to learn.

The learning to be done just keeps piling up it seems... first MG or not!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to swap out my '01 tank for one with an internal pump. Not so much for the chin pad delete (which would be a nice byproduct, it doesn't bother me too much but I'm not a huge fan either) but because I don't like the clutter of the external fuel pump. I have also heard that on hot days and long hard riding it can fail. I'd rather have the internal one. Other than a possible slight mod to the mounting points, is there any reason why this mod wouldn't work?

I don't think you are going to have any problems w/the external pump if you keep the heat wrap on the pump.
Unles you can slip up on another bike you can transfer all the parts from this will get pricey....

Yeah, started looking up the parts, and that's going waayyyyyyy down to the bottom of my to-do list now... ;)