Ohlins rear shock service reminder

Tom M

Ohlins recommends that their rear shock is serviced every 20-30,000 kms  which is about 13,000 - 19,000 miles.  I have over 40,000 miles on mine so I am overdue.  Even though it isn't leaking I'm sure the fluid is ready for a change and the nitrogen will need a recharge.  I dropped it off last weekend at a local rebuilder and he said he would change the seal and replace any worn O-rings or other parts.  Also offered to shim the piston since I had the rebound damping cranked way up (due to worn fluid?) so now my rebound adjuster should be more in the middle of it's range.  All for the very reasonable cost of $76 plus parts.

This is the guy that I'm using.  If your bike is laid up for winter and it has an Ohlins shock with mileage similar to mine you might want to consider having it done before you HAVE to due to a failure in the middle of riding season.

http://www.computrackboston.com/

35K on mine, havent touched it. Never had a seal go either on the forks, although they have been serviced once by a race shop at knockhill circuit ( gone now). Keep saying i will get both done one winter but always forget. Anybody recomend a good ohlins service place in the UK!!.

Similar story for me too. 67K miles and the rear shock hasn't been touched. That seems like a very reasonable price Tom M. I'll keep them in mind if I do something. I have had the forks serviced once, mainly due to a seal leaking. That was probably 6-7 years ago at an Ohlins truck at the AMA races at Barber.

50k on mine... aint touched it, have how ever done a fork seal twice. Ya right it does ned doing regually just to dear here and Id have to send it to the other island.

My local bloke (Adelaide) was charging $99 plus seal if required, figure that's a reasonable price.

Dunfermline Motorcycles knows what he is doing with them, he does them on mx bikes all the time. He had mine in at last MOT as it was leaking. There is also Bob Scott in Glenrothes  he works on track race bikes a lot so should know his onions. I have not had any done by him personally.