False Oil Indicator Warning?

zagato

I was riding in heavy rain this weekend and my low oil light came on- I just changed my oil and filter a month ago and have only ridden in town since then. Checked the oil level and it reads fine (full). Went out the next day and it went off. Tried again today and it came back on. ???

I've never cleaned the screen so maybe that's it? Clogged filter? Experiences/Suggestions?

2004 V11 Sport with 25K miles.

Are you aware of oil sloshing away from the pick-up area in the pan when going up an incline or hard on the gas with the front end light? The Roper plate solves this. An OPG would be a definate way of knowing if the oil perssure is correct,but in lieu of that making sure the level is correct would be the first thing to do.The dipstick has been discussed for years as to how hard it is to read correctly and there is several home methods of measuring.Do a search or someone may post a link to the thread.Most people drop the pan to access the filter which also gives easy access to the screen.

• Like 1

Certainly recheck the tightness of the oil filter. Some drop the whole sump and add a hose clamp. There has been much discussion about the difficulty of threading the "manhole" cover and how certain filters may be more prone to loosening.

I recall some extensive consideration by a respected poster concluding that the filter should be turned 1 1/8 turns once the gasket touched.

• Like 1

^Thanks all for the advice^- I figured I'd have to pull the pan and clean the screen, etc. I'll do all of the above (at least till I source a pressure gauge). At least this didn't happen last month when I replaced my broken transmission shift spring for the second time (!).

Thank you again, Guzzisti.

I think you missed the obvious: it was wet and the connector got shorted.

Ha! True that! None of us mentioned the most likely cause. Perhaps because the sensor is oil pressure and not just level, lots of us go straight to the most worrisome possibilities. :o

The connector to the sensor is inside the left cylinder's front corner and is certainly in the weather. Simple enough to unplug it, use an electrical cleaner, and reseal the connector with some Vaseline. It is the more round sensor with the smaller wire.

DSCN1021.JPG

• Like 1

I have to agree with Craig. Just the other week on my trip into London (when the Thruxton let me down q.v.) the oil light was flickering on at odd times in town: the traffic was dense, progress was slow, the engine was getting hot and bothered and it was damp to boot.

The clue it was electrical was when the neutral light stayed on on gear at the same time... seen it several times under these circumstances albeit usually in much warmer weather. Both Oil and Neutral lights were working as they should on the way back and it was absolutely pi**ing down then.

So I won't say nothing sinister in your case, but I've learned to tell the difference with mine.

But it came back on.... A rubber "cap" can be obtained as a Cali -part (12717600) which protects the oil pressure sensor from water (picture - on V11). The gasket of the old oil filter didn't stay on its place on the motor side when replacing the filter ?  Two gaskets => oil leak (or loose filter). 

Cap.jpg

But it came back on.... A rubber "cap" can be obtained as a Cali -part (12717600) which protects the oil pressure sensor from water (picture - on V11). The gasket of the old oil filter didn't stay on its place on the motor side when replacing the filter ?  Two gaskets => oil leak (or loose filter). 

I missed that at first, but I would still pull the connector and make sure it hasn't trapped any water.

Oh, Oregon.

Pulled the pan and discovered a 'healthy' amount of café latte syrup surrounding the oil mesh screen/in the sump. It wasn't stored outside for too long but apparently it was long enough for the outside ambient moisture to build up in the engine/sump. [and somewhat explains why it occurred in heavy rain/cold temps [although I rode in the snow a week before and the light didn't come on- time to re-up on "dew point", etc] Cleaned it and no more oil warning light. -A new one to me.

Still will check the possibly wet/shorted connector.

Now to weld up that darn manhole cover wrench.

Thank you all again! Safe travels...