Rear wheel bearing replacement - parts needed?

sp838

Hi Gio,

The rear wheel bearings are both 6204-2RSH  47mm dia x 14 wide x 20 bore

The front wheel takes two different bearings for the pre-'03 Marzocchi forked bikes.

6205-2RS  52 dia x 15 wide x 25 bore

6304-2RS 52 dia x 15 wide x 20 bore

Hope this helps,

Tom

Some confusion here, SP838 says 6205

We really need a spreadsheet of all the standard bearings for each model

Roy

• Like 1

Hi Roy,

Just checked my invoices for work done at our mutual friends at Valley Yamaha (in 2005 ... where do the years go?)

Front lists a Koyo 6205-2RS and NTN 6304-LLB ... so these #'s seem consistent with Toms

Rear lists Koyo 6204-2RS (also consistent except for the "H")

SP838 ... can you confirm bearing spec you used for the rear was 6205 ..?

Also - MG part # I got from Stein Dinse site for the rear (92204220) checked with the dealer in Moncton as a 47x14x20 , and they also told me the front uses 25x52x15 on one side and 20x52x15 on the other (not sure which is which) ... but no standard bearing codes ..?

FYI and as others have noted -- During a rear tire change on my 2002 Lemans, I noticed the left bearing was very rough feeling.  My bearing puller from Harbor Freight would not budge it.  Even with heat on the wheel.  So I decided to pull the right side one (2 or 3 smacks of the slide hammer), yanked the inner spacer, and then mashed out the bad bearing from the right side.  I forget what I used for a drift, but I do recall using a BFH.  

She finally came out, and rust was noted on one part of the outer race.  Probably sat after washing from PO. Either that or it sat outdoors for extended period on side stand (but the bike looks too nice for that...).  

When you go for bearings....drop the 6 from the bearing prefix . It is a light duty version of the bearing. Instead of 6204 use 204 . Check them at your vendor to verify this,

I found another reference (gizmology.net) which confirm Tom's numbers :

6204-2RS (rear) confirmed as 20x47x14

6205-2RS (front1) confirmed as 25x52x15

Both the above listed as "light" duty

6304-2RS (front2) confirmed as 20x52x15 listed as "medium" duty

(all numbers are bore/OD/thickness in mm)

I could not find any listings without the 6 ... but got 40/50k km out of the ones that did so perhaps that is as good as we might expect ??)

• Like 1

I found another reference (gizmology.net) which confirm Tom's numbers :

6204-2RS (rear) confirmed as 20x47x14

6205-2RS (front1) confirmed as 25x52x15

Both the above listed as "light" duty

6304-2RS (front2) confirmed as 20x52x15 listed as "medium" duty

(all numbers are bore/OD/thickness in mm)

I could not find any listings without the 6 ... but got 40/50k km out of the ones that did so perhaps that is as good as we might expect ??)

Would it be good to mark this post as "answered" in relation to the original post? :huh2:

Probably so . All bearings that are produced are metric . The 25x52x15 part # is also the bearing dimensions . I.D , O.D. & width . The 6205-2Rs should have those dimension.

Yes - although OP was asking about the rear wheel bearings and my understand is these are both 6204-2RS (20x47x14) ... the 6205 and 6304 are the differently sized bearings for the front wheel.

All bearings now ordered - thanks again for the help.