Rear wheel bearing replacement - parts needed?

sp838

Planning on doing my rear wheel bearings tonight, just wanted to double check that I wasn't missing any critical new parts before I take everything apart. I have the bearings of course, I also have a replacement for parts 10 and 5 in the exploded diagram below. I didn't see anything else like seals etc, so just wanted to check with you guys to make sure I wasn't missing something... Thanks!

image.jpg

No,you have it. Just find the notch in the spacer and tap (or bang) out the old then press in the new, freezing the bearings does help.

Let me know if the left side bearing is more rusted and in worse shape than the right. I am thinking if the bike is washed and put on the stand the

water migrates to the left side.

Thanks Thumper! I will report back. I wouldn't be surprised to find rust all over the place. This bike used to live very close to the East River, which isn't a river at all but a tidal straight that runs between the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean... And I also think it may have been somewhat exposed during Hurricane Sandy and/or Irene. So yeah, rust....  :closedeyes:

Left side definitely more rusty than the right side. A little but not too much surface rust on the axle, would be nice if someone made them out of Ti... Surprised not to find too much rust on the inside faces of the swing arm. But I can see some rust on the bevel gear where it sticks out of the bevel box... NOT gonna open up that can of worms right now. I have too many other disassembled things right now, and I would like to ride at some point this season. But the bevel box will most likely need some attention in the not so distant future. Seeing what Bjorn went through, not really anticipating doing it until next winter.  

job is already done. used ceramic hybrid wheel bearings from Worldwide Bearings. I don't remember the part number either, will post back later.

EDIT:  The bearing I used have part code CB-6205-2RS. CB means ceramic balls, 6205 is the generic size code, 2RS means two rubber seals.

invest in your balls! and check em early, check em often.

• 1 year later...

Just removed rear wheel to take in to the shop for new tire, and did the usual spin on the axle check for bearing smoothness ... right (drive) side feels a little notchy with some play - so reckon I'll need a new wheel bearing on that side (the other side feels ok).

In searching around I could not find the standard size / spec (other than the 6205-2RS posted above) - are both rear wheel bearings the same size?

If someone has rear wheel bearing specs handy it would be much appreciated. I think they were replaced with standard MG (SKF?) bearings last time.

Just removed rear wheel to take in to the shop for new tire, and did the usual spin on the axle check for bearing smoothness ... right (drive) side feels a little notchy with some play - so reckon I'll need a new wheel bearing on that side (the other side feels ok).

In searching around I could not find the standard size / spec (other than the 6205-2RS posted above) - are both rear wheel bearings the same size?

If someone has rear wheel bearing specs handy it would be much appreciated. I think they were replaced with standard MG (SKF?) bearings last time.

Yea both the same size and type. Check the bearing spacer length.

Ciao

Hi Phil - yes went through the whole spacer length thing a few years ago. My problem is the local shop is looking for a confirmation of the bearing size (the only information I was able to find was the MG part # (92204220) - last time I had bearings installed was at a MG dealership ...

I read elsewhere that the bearings are of a standard size ... just can't seem to find out what that size is?

Hi Gio,

The rear wheel bearings are both 6204-2RSH  47mm dia x 14 wide x 20 bore

The front wheel takes two different bearings for the pre-'03 Marzocchi forked bikes.

6205-2RS  52 dia x 15 wide x 25 bore

6304-2RS 52 dia x 15 wide x 20 bore

Hope this helps,

Tom