Earthing point V11 sport

SeanP61

Hi Guys

I have a 2000 V11 sport and have been having electrical problems - after following lots of similar sounding issues already covered in the forum I thought the best thing to do 1st was check earthing contact to gearbox behind seat release lock.

This didn't look too bad but I thought I would remove bolt and really clean up contact. The bolt came out ok and I cleaned the gearbox casing and earth strap contact and tried to re insert bolt - which would not engage with the screw thread in the casing.After a frustrating hour and cleaning up the bolt thread I measured the depth of the bolt hole with a very thin screw driver and with much prodding and poking  could only insert this about half the length of the bolt. I have checked all other bolts in gearbox / engine casing - nothing moved to cause misalignment now v frustrated and without decent earth can't start any diagnostics - not that I am going to be very good at that either - any ideas - I am a little stumped

thanks

Sean

Sean, it sounds like the bolt may have broken on removal.

Was your ground bolted to the back of the gearbox as in this picture, or into the boss facing right for the actual seat lock release?

Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 11.40.29 AM.png

Hi thanks for swift reply - wish my bike was as clean as yours - yes bolted to back of gearbox and not behind actual seat lock - My thought initially was broken bolt but it has a machined end to it with screw thread intact and is just under 2" long

Sean, try a big blast of brake cleaner or other such solvent you probably have some obstruction in there. Remember you've got a steel bolt going into aluminum so be careful not to cross-thread. It will be a huge pain in the gludeus to heli-coil or anything else to fix damaged threads back there.

thanks  Czakky - will try tomorrow morning - yes not looking forward to dismantling gearbox to sort out anything serious - read your thread on electrical gremlins yesterday - would make a great epic novel - I think I have all that to come - thought cleaning earth was the easy bit - I'll let you know what problem was when / if sorted. Oddly the bolt came out with a smear of engine oil on its threads and is in good condition - just can't see how the hole could be blocked time will tell I guess - thanks for your time

Sean, it seems that if the bolt hole is now half the depth it was (if I read you right) and the threads don't want to re-engage, and nothing has moved, then possibly you've got the bolt mixed up with another that was laying around, or it's the wrong hole. sorry, sounds ridiculous, but in my haste sometimes, that the kind of stuff happens to me :P

Thanks for that -  must say would be great if that was the case and with my track record more than possible - i'll look over all that i removed tomorrow in the light and see if there's another bolt