Stuck in Beijing

Kiwi_Roy

Sorry to post this completely non Guzzi topic.

I'm stuck in Beijing for the next 3 days (Air Canada's ticket change policy sucks big time)

I was hoping to connect up with Jim Bryant (Jimbo's Classic Sidecars) and arrange a ride somewhere. I can't even get the internet to spit out his address & phone No (he may be in the States but I expect he still has the business going near the Airport)

It's good weather for riding and I'm stuck in an overpriced hotel on the outskirts of the city.

Could someone google Jimbos and send me the phone No. A couple of years back he told me to call if I was back this way.

Any other entertainment ideas would be welcome, I've done the usual tourist stuff.

I think I need to use a Chinese based browser, Chrome and Firefox won't work, good old Explorer is dead slow but at least it still delivers.

(for some strange reason I can always seem to get on this site, most others have frozen me out)

Actually the PM function doesn't work so it's either post here or snd me an e-mail roy.matson@yahoo.ca

Not really related but I have my Spot with me, I can't get it open from here but it works really well, I get a text on my cell as soon as it sends my co-ordinates to the satelite. I was standing in front of the hotel when I sent this one.

http://fms.ws/Hu7P-/39.97221N/116.47151E

If the above link does not work, try this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.97221,116.47151&ll=39.97221,116.47151&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Yesterday I was on site in Shandong Province

http://fms.ws/HhQof/37.69355N/121.06622E

If the above link does not work, try this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.69355,121.06622&ll=37.69355,121.06622&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Beijing sidecar tours...Sounds hilarious.

Booking mobile hotline
(from 9 am to 9 pm Beijing time) (+86) 139 1133 4947 Office address 朝阳区幸福村中路杰座大厦西边利世鸿业置业有限公司对面 – 100027 Chao Yang District – Xingfu Cun Zhonglu – Jieizuo Dasha Xibian – Lishihongye Zhiyeyouxiangongsi Duimian – 100027  

Sounds like you have to eat the Roast Duck and visit the Great Wall. Not sure what exactly you'd be interested in but the museums all seem kinda lame.  

Sorry the farthest east I've been is Daytona Beach.  

Let me know what you need googled I'll keep checking back.

Thanks Bill,

I'll give it a try, I think I figured out the Chinese internet doesn't like my Canadian browser, I can only access a few of my bookmarks. Supposedly they are going to send a techie up to my room and fix it.

You don't reallize how much you rely on the internet until it stops working and you are marooned in a hot dirty country where very few speak English.

I just called them, 2,000 RMB for an all day tour to the great wall, that's about $400 compares favourably with a bus tour, it's quite a long way to the great wall from here.

It's too late today but I may arrange for it tomorrow, I expect it's a group of guys with Chang Jiang sidecars got together and formed a tour company.

I feel better already.

Cheers

This really is a (Special place for Banter,...) topic.Travel safe Roy.

You are absolutely right of course, but I doubt I would have got the response in time.

I had a great day yesterday, picked up by a pilot and tour guide on an old Chang Jiang which in North America would be classed as a POS.

Left the hotel up the wrong way on a one way street, up onto the footpath across the lights diaginal fashion to get on the right side (rush hour traffic). I don't know how many times we pulled up to the lights in a turning lane to out accelerate the cars and get back into line, bike lanes, footpaths it was all the same to Guang Li the driver.

At one stage he let me have a drive, scarry if like me you have never driven a hack, I wasn't expecting the dive to the left on letting out the clutch when changing up.

They took me to a part of the wall away from the tourist traps, we walked about 5 km and didn't see a soul. The scenery was better also (I have been there). Lunch and a beer then back to Beijing through countryside with good windy roads.

The driver Guang Li ws a real character, although we didn't speak the same launguage I think we connected via the common love of motorcycles. I liked him so much I gave him my Guzzi shirt.

The tour guide, a nice young guy from Spain here to learn Chinese was good company.

All in all a great way to waste 8 hours, hot and dusty I crashed when I got back to the hotel.

I highly recommend Beijing Sideways as a way to see the Great Wall or Beijing.

I'll attach a link to photobucket when I get back and can upload the pictures.

Cheers

Roy

Gotta love a pilot that lets you take the controls for a while! Sounds like it was a blast, I can't help but imagine these guys looking like anything less than Mongolian Raiders.

Mongolian Raiders, that's a pretty apt description of Guang, He's been riding for 30 odd years and his experience shows. A real character.

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Beijing%20Trip

Mouse over the pictures if the captions don't show up

Looks like fun. How old do you suppose that Chang Jiang of his is?... As much as I appreciate a pristine bike somehow a well used machine like that always piques my interest more.