New Wheel Bearings!

moto fugazzi

All this talk about bearings and spacers, I'll bring it up again

My 72 Eldorado at 130,000 miles has what I'm sure are the original tapered rollers with proper seals. why can't modern Guzzis have the same?

We are lucky if the ball races last the life of a tire

Phil - if bearings are driven home in the housing by pressing on outer race only, then if spacer is too long, inner races would be misaligned, same as if spacer were too short? 

True, and thats why I tap the last bearing in the last 1/2mm with a hammer and small drift carefully until the spacer clearance is nil. It doesnt matter if the bearing outer race is a few thou off the shoulder in the bore as there is very little actual pure side thrust on the bearings.

Ciao 

Phil - if bearings are driven home in the housing by pressing on outer race only, then if spacer is too long, inner races would be misaligned, same as if spacer were too short? 

True, and thats why I tap the last bearing in the last 1/2mm with a hammer and small drift carefully until the spacer clearance is nil. It doesnt matter if the bearing outer race is a few thou off the shoulder in the bore as there is very little actual pure side thrust on the bearings.

Ciao 

Thanks for this, guys. It explains a problem I had recently on my BMW's front wheel. There must have been too much pressure on the inner races and the wheel wouldn't spin freely. I used a socket for that. Since then I bought some bearing drivers that apply pressure across the whole bearing - inner and outer races.

Ciao 

Thanks for this, guys. It explains a problem I had recently on my BMW's front wheel. There must have been too much pressure on the inner races and the wheel wouldn't spin freely. I used a socket for that. Since then I bought some bearing drivers that apply pressure across the whole bearing - inner and outer races.

Or yes Scud, you could do it the easy way:) I was just saying to my wife yesterday that if there's 2 ways to do something I'll naturally opt for the harder way,sigh. My only defence is that most of the time it's also the better way.

The aim of course is to make sure the axial or thrust load between the inner and outer race is minimal and the amount of axial/thrust load you can generate with 60 or so foot/lbs of torque on an axle nut is considerable if the spacer is too short.

Ciao 

I think I have some extra spacer material (I think 3-4", and it will have to be cut to size) that I got from JRT on this forum when I bought his old 2001 Sport. It'll take me a few days to find it, but if anybody needs it, let me know.

I found some info here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5537&hl=%20bearing%20%20spacer&page=4

Ken