V11 LeMans questions

Anders

I currently have an 1100 sport ie and I'm thinking about selling and buying a V11 LeMans instead.I love the 1100sport but could use just a little bit more modern clutch,gearbox,softer seat and better ECU.

So,first what year should I look for? 2003-2005?

I've read that it got some upgrades compared to 2002.Better paintwork on frame and better electronics?

Are there some technical issues that got better with the 2003?

I read somewhere that the valves or something goes bad on just about every V11 after 35000 kilometers.That there are some wear on a component that needs changing.Is that true?

Help apreciated.

The majority of folks seem to prefer the 03-on v11's. There is a breakdown of model years in the forum here somewhere written by someone much more knowledgeable than me. But there are good and bad things about pre-03' and post-03'.

Pretty sure I have never heard anything about bad valves some have had valve seal issues some not. :huh2:

Not mentioned in the model year discussion ( http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691 )

03 onwards have more adjustability in the gearbox mechanism (I found this out on the weekend whilst trying to make sense of my 03 and an earlier manual) - you can adjust both throw and central possition for the internal mechanism.

I'm not convinced the post 03 marzochis are an improvement, so consider looking for an ohlins equiped version . With the later marzochis you only get rebound adjustment ( vs compression and rebound on pre 03 ) , plus the springs are an odd size so hard to source alternative rated springs .

There is debate over the front cross over on the exhaust post 03 , mine hasn't leaked yet so I'll reserve judgement

Soft valve guides have been reported on the V11 series as well as the pre-V11 Sports. At 90,000 miles (146.548 km), I'm still not seeing signs of an issue so it's certainly not a given that the valves always have to be addressed at low mileage.

Later V11(2003 on) have a cooling oil spray onto the piston bottoms. And, yes, better driveline paint than the '02 LeMans/Tenni.

The ITI instruments changed from Veglia. In some markets, closed loop FI with catalytic converter was added (not sure when).

Anders, go to your profile and enter a location. It doesn't need to be specific, but will help forum members narrow down what is applicable to your locale.

Thank you for comments.

LowRyter,yes I know.There's going to be some hard thinking before I sell it.

PDoz,thanks for the link and info.Great!  There seems to be some reason to choose the 2001-2002 then.Good to know about the forks on 2003 on.

Docc,146000 km !! That's alot.I guess it was just some odd bikes that had bad valves then.

I entered location now.Sorry about that.

The ultimate bike would probarbly be Rosso/Nero Corsa then,or maybe a 01-02.I'll look at the bikes for sale here in Sweden and see.

I'm sure if I tore the motor down, I would find the heads and valves could use freshening. Maybe at 160.000 km (100k miles)!

I think the improvements of the '03-'04 V11 are very desirable. You would not be disappointed with an R/N Corsa!

• 2 months later...

I have owned a 2003 sport for 8 years. No major problems apart from the Electrics.

The main trouble being the relays positioned under the seat. They can be crushed by the seat, putting pressure on wiring & connectors etc.causing wires to break. Spade connectors to become detached.

Wheel bearings need regular replacement. Outer transmition bearing is vulnerable to water contamination.

Transmition control arm bushes difficult to find replacements. Necesitating replacement of complete arm. Unless you are inventive.

Apart from this. A great bike. Reliable comfortable, power full, :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Later models have less issues.Get a Ohlins equipped model.Cafe Sport,Nero/ Rosso Corsa,Coppa Italia,Scura,Scura clutch can be an issue,I replaced mine.