V11 Sport knocking sound.

thelonewonderer

Could somebody drop in a link or other details about how/where the Roper plate can be purchased? I've searched and found plenty of discussion, but I cannot seem to find the "buy it now" button. 

Not planning any wheelies - but I do enjoy some throttle on the way up the mountains (even steep uphill left-handers, which appear to be the moments of greatest vulnerability). Oil in the sump seems like a good idea; a little extra oil capacity would be fine too.

"
Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:11 AM / Sloppage sheets
Just had another run done so if anyone is interested they are currently available.
Email me direct: motomoda.roper at gmail.com
Pete

"
I wonder if I should install one... I've filled 4L oil to the sump, as many V11Sport.de -members seem to do to keep the red light out when accelerating. With 4L I have never seen the red light during a ride (or exess oil in the air box). But we have no mountains...

• Like 1

Fellow Greenie (original and best - anything to diffuse an oil thread methinks?) ... Oil should be checked with the bike upright and level.

Gio

Pretty difficult trick for one person.

Once it's been done after an oil change and refill, one might mark a new level on the dipstick with (yellow) paint.

Like I said, I'll fill it and in no time it's right down to the middle of the stick.  I suppose a person could continually top it up.

Camn - in response to your mountain question - I would still say yes to a plate. The pick-up design is such that hard acceleration will "slosh" oil to the rear - and whilst that would be worsened by accelerating up-hill, even on level ground - and particularly with an oil volume closer to 3 l than 4 - could be a problem (for those of us that care - the majority I would think). Glad to read that you are running closer to 4l - that may be the difference in you not seeing the oil light - I don't know.

I do know that the plate is relatively in-expensive (compared to the potential cost of oil starvation at least) and not that difficult to install.

I'm getting close to the 100,000 km mark now and stopped worrying about this a long time ago.

Gio

PS - I have no affiliation re the plate - it just makes sense and there seems to be good evidence from others that it works

Fellow Greenie (original and best - anything to diffuse an oil thread methinks?) ... Oil should be checked with the bike upright and level.

Gio

Once it's been done after an oil change and refill, one might mark a new level on the dipstick with (yellow) paint.

Like I said, I'll fill it and in no time it's right down to the middle of the stick.  I suppose a person could continually top it up.

Really not that hard to do, as they say "Work smarter, not harder".

If you are worried about dropping it park the bike next to a wall so that to fall one way would be towards you and to the other way the wall would stop it before it got anywhere. If you really want to be careful set the bike up in a stand, perhaps with tie downs, so it can't fall. Or just get a friend to help you. Some people are even swift enough to be able to sit on the bike holding it up right and reach down to the oil dip stick and check it.

The one thing I don't like about leaning it on the stand and checking is that, while there is always only one "vertical", there can be many different angles that the bike can lean when sitting on the side stand. It depends on the level of the floor it is sitting on. Vertical is always vertical. It is always right.

Gio

Really not that hard to do, as they say "Work smarter, not harder".

If you are worried about dropping it park the bike next to a wall so that to fall one way would be towards you and to the other way the wall would stop it before it got anywhere. If you really want to be careful set the bike up in a stand, perhaps with tie downs, so it can't fall. Or just get a friend to help you. Some people are even swift enough to be able to sit on the bike holding it up right and reach down to the oil dip stick and check it.

The one thing I don't like about leaning it on the stand and checking is that, while there is always only one "vertical", there can be many different angles that the bike can lean when sitting on the side stand. It depends on the level of the floor it is sitting on. Vertical is always vertical. It is always right.

really?  That's smart and not hard?

Why not fill it with oil after an oil change,  then mark the dipstick with the bike on the sidestand?  Which is what I believe I've I stated the PO did.

I think we have hijacked the original posters thread enough already - so lest we stray into the minutae zone of the whole oil level thing - may I suggest a level calibration of the dipstick (enough said about that) and then translate that into your preferred side-stand location - as long as you are consistent and have a reference point, then you "should" be ok. Personally I agree with Guzzimoto and prefer level. Because it's level. Are you sure of the PO's mark ..?

I think we have hijacked the original posters thread enough already - so lest we stray into the minutae zone of the whole oil level thing - may I suggest a level calibration of the dipstick (enough said about that) and then translate that into your preferred side-stand location - as long as you are consistent and have a reference point, then you "should" be ok. Personally I agree with Guzzimoto and prefer level. Because it's level. Are you sure of the PO's mark ..?

Not at all. Everything is helpful!

Unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to drop the sump. I'm on my 9th day straight of work, so free time as been nonexistent.

My plan is to drop the sump, assess the damage, then go from there.

It's a shame, I got the bike six months ago to be my daily ride. Less than 4k miles later and I officially had to buy a car so I could have reliable transportation. It saddens me, since I really enjoy Guzzis. It'll probably be a while before I can find the time and money to get it going, again.

Yeah, mine was off the road 16 months. Mind you, I have got very acquainted with my 750 Breva. Using the BMW rider knock back of, "Perhaps, but my Guzzi has pert tits", the Breva has a pair of fried eggs compared to the voluptuous V11, but they still do a fine job and are more practical in every day life.

...I'll fill it and in no time it's right down to the middle of the stick.  I suppose a person could continually top it up.

I always kept mine above max on the stick, & level only dropped slowly. Never blew anything much out even at sustained high revs. If your's is using oil at that rate then maybe there's something needs looking at. Think you said it's burping it out? Crankcase pressure - worn rings/bores? Is it burning oil?

The Lonewonderer - good luck with it. Hope you manage to get it sorted.