Spit, Sputter, Hiccup, Cough at around 3,000 RPM

Rhino1

So, I recently took delivery of a new-to-me 2003 Rosso Corsa.  Love the bike, and everything feels great... except for a hiccup around the 3k range on the tach, especially at a steady state throttle.  The bike has the Kit ECM, and a power commander.  I'm thinking it might need a TPS adjustment, but would like to know if anyone has any additional input/ideas?   It would seem that a coil or plug issue would be intermittent--and I presume the same would be the case if the PCIII or ECM was acting up.  Idle, start up, acceleration are just fine.  Thanks!

Most guys here (me included) will tell you that without the PC your bike should run damn well. Not perfect but pretty sweet no hiccup at 3k. Best thing is to go through the TPS/Throttle Body setup located in the "How-To" sub-forum. Start with the valve adjustment take your time and don't think the first time will be perfect. My bike never had a "hiccup" after a good tuning. Enjoy.

Big up Rhino, absolutely the first thing I'd suggest is to check the rubber inlet boots.  Any degredation/cracks etc will duck it up reet bad.

Then check valve clearances.

Then do TPS.

Then Balance the cylinders.

Mine runs sweet now cos I did this.

Stew.

Thank you, gentlemen--I will do all things suggested.  It just felt weird that the problem only exists if I hover around 3k.  My first V11 didn't have a PCIII and that may be where my answer ultimately lies.  I'll try unplugging it too.  

Do as the other suggested, then get the necessary cables for Guzzidiag ( http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17865&hl=guzzidiag ).Seems like my hiccup went away after my dealer bumped up the CO setting on my bike, and that can be done with Guzzidiag. The proper way to set CO, is with a sniffer, but if you don't have access to one, you could increase CO by 5 if it still hiccups after the valve adjustments, TPS reset, etc.

My theory is that from what I'm told, CO mainly affects the fuel map from 0-3K RPM. That 3K cutoff seems to be where we have the hiccup issues, and it seems like bumping up the CO a bit helps that transition where the CO trim starts to cut out and the regular fuel map takes over…I could be totally wrong with this theory. I know others have said that they eliminated the hiccups by changing the crossover pipe to either a Mistral or Stucchi.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Mine did that until I ditched the stock cross over for a mistral, hiccup gone.. yours may be different, I didn't have the cross over in the headd pipes.. I'm talking about the center x-over under the tranny.

Yeah, mine has the cross over in the front (the Titanio exhaust).  Went for a nice long ride today.  The sputtering seemed to be a bit worse when the engine was nice and toasty (through some traffic).  I learned to ride around it, but will address it... 

• 5 months later...

Rhino,

Did you manage to solve this yet ? It seems I have the same problems but between 2000 and 2500 rpm. Especially when the engine is all warmed up.

In heavy traffic it's an unwilling monster to ride when changing rpm all the time.

Walter

Walterg,

Have you done the valve adjust/TPS adjust/TB sync that stewgnu suggested above?  That should be your starting point before you mess with anything else. 

Also check for cracked intake boots and exhaust leaks, especially at the head and front crossover.  They can cause the lean cough problem that you're having too.

I checked the TB sync two weeks ago and it was perfect. The intake boots are ok and I had a quick look at the exhaust and found nothing suspicious.
In the comming weeks I hope to have some time to have a look at the TPS and valve clearance.

Mine recently started catching a bit again around 2,750.  I happened to take the headers off to rub 'em back + shine them up.  When replaced the problem was gone.  Perhaps they weren't nipped up good previously? :huh2:

If I put my hands on both exhaust nozzles while the engine is running should it stall or start running bad in some way ?

I tried this and it didn't seem to matter. The bike doesn't sound louder then normal though.

Mine recently started catching a bit again around 2,750.  I happened to take the headers off to rub 'em back + shine them up.  When replaced the problem was gone.  Perhaps they weren't nipped up good previously? :huh2:

When I pulled my heads off a few years back I discovered that there were no gaskets at all in there.  Don't know if that was due to the previous owner or the factory, but I put new ones in when I put it back together.  I only had the lean cough when the exhaust nuts got loose when there were no gaskets installed.