LowRyter's oil leak

LowRyter

...I'll fill it and in no time it's right down to the middle of the stick.  I suppose a person could continually top it up.

I always kept mine above max on the stick, & level only dropped slowly. Never blew anything much out even at sustained high revs. If your's is using oil at that rate then maybe there's something needs looking at. Think you said it's burping it out? Crankcase pressure - worn rings/bores? Is it burning oil?

The Lonewonderer - good luck with it. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

mine isn't burning oil.  It's dripped some (out of the breather) until it finds the right level (which is midway on the dipstick).  I'm of the opinion that you don't top up the oil until it's on the low mark which has never happened on my bike.  I usually go 3k miles between changes.  Filter at 9k, along with valve and fluid service.

Why do you like to overfill the sump on your bike?

The breather hose might be worth looking at - I had to replace mine a few years back (there is a post that gives good info on how to make a new one).

Sounds like the PO was on the ball and would have no reason to question your confidence in that. But I think the key point I'm trying to make is that the stock dipstick measures ~12mm low (and have wondered if the idea might be to account for the threads on the stick - ie no need to thread all the way in to take a reading ..?) ... anyway, if I were you at the next oil/filter change I would fill with say 3.5l and find a way to keep the bike level (perhaps some blocks under the side-stand just the right side of balance point) and see where that came to on your dipstick ..? At least this would give you a reference point and hopefully validate the PO's mark.

If (as I suspect is the case) you find that your stick is also reading low, then filling to any mark is not over-filling, but compensating for the dipstick marks.

Just for clear my paranoia, I did fill the bike to full (on the sidestand).  It took half a pint to go from midway to full.....but of course it's not full since it was on the sidestand.

I didn't get a chance to ride it because I was riding the EV and trying to figure out the hot start problem.  I think it might be fuel because I have to grab the throttle to get it start,

OK,  I've run half a tank of gas since topping the sump.  This morning there was a couple of puke spots about as big as a couple of silver dollars.  So whether it was overfilled or there is some kind of breather issues it's finding it's own level.

dunno.  Last time I brought it up everyone said it was coming out of the breather because it was overfilled.  I added half a pint based on the above back and forth and it did it again.  Not very much.  The Dipstick shows a little bit over the full mark (on the sidestand). It was never down below half way on the dipstick (measured on the sidestand). 

mine isn't burning oil.  It's dripped some (out of the breather) until it finds the right level (which is midway on the dipstick).  I'm of the opinion that you don't top up the oil until it's on the low mark which has never happened on my bike.  I usually go 3k miles between changes.  Filter at 9k, along with valve and fluid service.

Why do you like to overfill the sump on your bike?

Cos of stories of torched bearings likely caused by exposed oil pick-up. Seems to me, this is more likely to happen with low oil. Keeping it topped up makes sense to me, it's never breathed it back out, so I don't see a downside. But each to his own. I also fitted a Roper slosh plate.

I check oil on my own w bike upright on it's wheels, no stand. I just find the balance point, & hold it by the bar end - it feels a little precarious but no problem.

KB :sun:

I suppose half a pint could be the difference.  I've never gotten an oil light, so I've never really worried about it since it doesn't seem to burn oil.  Yeah, I have a Roper plate.  I just get some oil drips form the breather area until it finds level.

I don't know how anyone can straddle the bike upright while pulling out the dipstick.  And there really isn't much mentioned about it in the documentation.  Should the oil be checked on the sidestand or upright?  Does the dipstick need to be screwed in or just inserted to the top of the treads?  Everyone seems to have an opinion.  

I suppose half a pint could be the difference.  I've never gotten an oil light, so I've never really worried about it since it doesn't seem to burn oil.  Yeah, I have a Roper plate.  I just get some oil drips form the breather area until it finds level.

I don't know how anyone can straddle the bike upright while pulling out the dipstick.  And there really isn't much mentioned about it in the documentation.  Should the oil be checked on the sidestand or upright?  Does the dipstick need to be screwed in or just inserted to the top of the treads?  Everyone seems to have an opinion.  

I don't straddle the bike to check the oil!

I stand beside it.

Oil is checked w bike upright. 

Interesting what rossi46 quotes -  somehow "screwed up completely" seems apt - I also took that to mean dipstick screwed fully home, but who knows with translations?

Obviously if dipstick was unscrewed & resting on cases it would indicate less oil present...

from the handbook

'the oil level check should be carried out after the engine has run for a few minutes:the dipstick plug should be screwed up completely'

I always took that to mean screwed all the way in

:notworthy:

OK,  I've run half a tank of gas since topping the sump.  This morning there was a couple of puke spots about as big as a couple of silver dollars.  So whether it was overfilled or there is some kind of breather issues it's finding it's own level.

and three more spots today after riding it yesterday.  I am guessing it will continue puking until it finds the right level.