LowRyter's oil leak

LowRyter

• 4 months later...

Well I was finally able to trace it.  Unfortunately, It's the transmission that is leaking.  Not sure where or how.  I switched to a red gear oil and found a few drips and lots of smear on the bottom. 

First thing I'll check is if it's overfilled (I fill it on the sidestand) and check if it needs a crush washer.  Next I'll look for cracks,   

Oh the tranny has a site glass not an overflow plug.  Gees forgot that.  Anyway it's full when upright vs on the sidestand.  I am guessing that it might be pretty easy to overfill it.  

when mine is vertical, it definitely shows full.  I might dump it and remeasure in a marked cup.

I've just been eyeballing it out of the site line on the side of the bottle. 

Depending on the gear oil you use, there is significant "cling" that makes the the volumetric refill likely to overfill. Especially with any RedLine - no telling how much of that stuff stays in the gearbox (and rear drive).

If you can get the bike vertical, fill to the middle of the sight glass.

It would be great if just that would settle your leak!

• Like 1

Depending on the gear oil you use, there is significant "cling" that makes the the volumetric refill likely to overfill. Especially with any RedLine - no telling how much of that stuff stays in the gearbox (and rear drive).

If you can get the bike vertical, fill to the middle of the sight glass.

It would be great if just that would settle your leak!

It's not one thing it's another...........

6f6f35f4c3ed101184e76ed54c66ba63_21ycUw5

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Stew- I think I just overfilled the gearbox.  I've never filled it on a center stand (don't have one) and just roughly measured it.  I think (hope) it's shed enough fluid where the pressure is down and won't leak out.

But who knows?