the case of the disappearing clutch fulid

dangerous

GOT the wee bastard... broken seal in the slave, and the other worn... now its $400 for a new slave and none in NZ so a local work shop cleaned it up and replaced the seals all for $10
Now Im thinking there was no sign of leakage even tho there is a small channel for it to get out as it was such a small amount and dust dried it up quickly.
NOW to see if I can remember how to put it all back together.

bust.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic. It will be good to have confidence in the bike again. Also good to know that the slave cylinder can be reconditioned.

"The case is one where we have been compelled to reason backward from effects to causes."

-- Sherlock Holmes

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think i have the same problem?. Pulling into petrol station and the lever went straight back to the bar. It came back again after afew seconds, done it again a few times on way home (150 miles). Doesnt look as if i have lost any/much fluid as i never noticed the level before it happened. Took off the grommet at side of flywheel case and it has i think fluid in it. Oh well looks like i need to pull the slave out for a look. Need a new back tyre anyway.

hmmm well dont jump to conclusions aye.

My problem was just that I was loosing fluid over a few hundie KM, clutch operation never failed.

So look at your master on the bar 1st, was eisier to replace those seals than the slave.

Now if no luck head over to the other thread of mine you posted on and we shell talk.

PS, I doubt clutch fluid could make it into the fly wheel, yeah I thought the same but in reality it would take a lot of fluid as it has to pass the length of the box to get there, and providing its not blocked...

There is a drain hole that lost fluid should get out if the seals have failed, the lost fluid will land on the cross over box of the exhaust below, mine did however only show this once, as we are talking about such little fluid it just seems to get lost in dust wee corners of the casings etc.

You are right, i will just get a master cylinder seal kit. I will just have to trawl the internet for a part number, but a guy i was speaking to today said brembo dont do overhaul kits!!!.

You are right, i will just get a master cylinder seal kit. I will just have to trawl the internet for a part number, but a guy i was speaking to today said brembo dont do overhaul kits!!!.

My Brembo rebuild kit came from Moto International in Seattle, Washington, USA (Oct. 2008) for a 12 mm cylinder (at that time 32US$):

"TA110436292 M/C kit, 12mm RECT/REMOTE "

Hope that helps . . .

• 1 month later...

I have acquired a new 13 mm clutch master cylinder for the bike. Fitted it and bled the clutch line . Out on a test run and when i change gear (sometimes) there is a increase in revs but no forward momentum, drop down a gear and seems to go OK . Or i am going along  at higher revs all seems ok then it seems to slip, is this symptoms of a worn clutch,splines or slave cylinder sticking. definitely unrideable the way it is  :bbblll:

Sounds like a clutch slipping. Clutches are under more force in higher gears. Don't know if it is necessarily a "worn" clutch but it sounds like it is slipping. Could be a few things last one I would worry about is the clutch being worn. How many miles on the bike?

About 40000 miles. If it was slipping all the time i would blame the clutch but it just seems to happen when i change gear and not all the time then. It feels like there is something sticking

We haven't discussed the gearbox input splines much here, but the (similar) BMW clutch discs are known to drag along the dry splines causing similar issues.