Rear stand substitutes

Zooter

Pulling the rear wheel with a  swingarm stand requires more disassembly than using the factory stand.

That's right, you have to take off the inner rear fender so you don't break the plastic with the weight of the bike. Some aftermarket inner fenders mount differently though - and don't have to be removed.

Im not seeing how thats so?  The weight of the bike is sitting on the plastic covering either way.  Maybe when I go to remove the rear wheel I will find out but it seems like it would not be a problem.   

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, but I'll try to clarify. The stock plastic inner fender wraps the swingarm and does not bear any weight. I assumed that the part of the fender that wraps underneath the swingarm would break if it was still on when using a swingarm lift. It's easy to remove anyway - so not really a significant factor in deciding what lift to buy.

Here's a pic from the workshop manual showing a swingarm lift in use - with the inner fender removed.

It's interesting that MG chose not to recommend the factory stand for that. Seems to me that we need a few different ways to raise our bikes, depending on the work to be performed. 

Next, I am going to try some anti-gravity powder. 

I will say that after a few days with the swing arm stand I would prefer to have the pegs and stand designed for them.  Getting the swing arm stand set properly is tricky...it has the urge to slide forward on the swing arm and resting up against the bottom of the muffler.  Its a learning process.  

I got this shipped from Europe when they weren't available here:

http://www.becker-technik.de/Central-Lifter/body_central-lifter.html

I think MG Cycle carries them.

Disadvantage: A little clunky to get it on and lift up the bike. The thing sort of clamps onto the nuts on the lower pork chops. A little practice and it takes maybe 30 seconds to get it clamped on.

Advantage: Once lifted, the bike is rock solid. You can wrench away without any fear of it slipping off or tipping. The bike and stand are effectively one piece.

Love Mine

When attaching it.

Its like a intimate dance with a overweight but yet sexy Italian.

You and your bike in a balancing act.

The first couple of times you are nervous then after a few dances you are a pro.

And sturdy as hell.

When attaching it.

Its like a intimate dance with a overweight but yet sexy Italian.

You and your bike in a balancing act.

The first couple of times you are nervous then after a few dances you are a pro.

And sturdy as hell.

That poetic description also works for my use of the Cycle Gear stand.   :thumbsup:

With the sidestand down, I get on the right side, pull her up and close up to me with my right arm and use my left arm to prepare to sweep her off her feet with the swingarm stand. I had help the first few times, but I can do it alone now.

The lifting surfaces of the CG stand are two square rubber blocks that rotate. I added some leftover surfboard traction pad foam to the brackets to prevent damage while lifting. When it's up, I secure it with two clamps, as shown in the picture.

IMG_2835.jpg

Again - probably not the "best" option, but it works and it doesn't slide off. I have left the bike on the swingarm stand like this for well over a week (while the sidestand was getting powder-coated).

I put some 6mm nutserts into the swing arm about 1.5-2 inches forward of the axle, and mounted standard spools. I can use any standard paddock stand, provided it is wide enough. Pit Bull and Moto D both make wide stands, the vast majority of the cheapo chinese ones on ebay are too narrow. I am very curious about the official Guzzi stand... Where exactly does it lift from?

Factory stand, combined with the Baxter Trailers Sport Chock, using a polyethylene cutting board to roll over the diamond plate of the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift (gives 35mm/ 1 3/8" under the rear tire by using the 4x4 block as shown):

DSCN2566.jpg

DSCN2570.jpg

DSCN2569.jpg

Factory "spindle" pictured above, ostensibly designed to prop the sump. With both wheels off, the whole affair rolls easily dropping the front onto the forks. :o Don't ask me how I know this. :blush:

• Like 2

Thanks Docc, this is very helpful, I wasn't picturing it. How easy is it to operate it solo?

LOVE the disco inferno bike lift, party at your garage!

• Like 1

And boy is your engine clean! I have some cooked in oil and deep grime, still haven't worked it out.

I just keep rubbing on it like an old lamp hoping one day a genie will emerge to offer me The Three Great Tuning Secrets of All V11! :rasta:

(BTW: original valve cover and sump gaskets!)

I love Kostarika's dance analogy! The key to the factory lift is to be certain the nuts are fully seated and everything is perfectly level before hoisting. On level ground I would do this from the left side, pushing the stand's handle backward. On the lift it works better from the right. The Sport Chock that captures the front wheel makes this much more steady!