Brembo lever pins

docc

In case you haven't already:

The Brembo hand levers are pinned through to a spring steel nut that is prone to going missing. Sure, you can cinch it up and check it regularly, but it is considered good method to slip a "zip-tie" around to secure the assembly.

It is certainly something you don't want to find missing! :o

DSCN2662.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip! I'll check mine if it ever warms up here. 

A friend of mine lost the pin a few years back on his Ducati, and we bought the proper size allen wrench and cut it down in the Home Depot parking lot. Luckily it was towards the end of our trip around Lake Michigan, but Chicago traffic is NOT the time you want to find out that you don't have front brakes!

Ken

Docc, that type of nut is called a tinnerman (sp) nut . I will check to see if IU have something and will let u know !

Too, cool - I never heard that before. Apparently, the Speed Nut was invented by Albert Tinnerman.

While speedy to install, they can evidently get gone in equally speedy fashion. I freely admit that I learned this method from a friend with a Ducati Monster. :thumbsup:

Docc, that type of nut is called a tinnerman (sp) nut . I will check to see if IU have something and will let u know !

Too, cool - I never heard that before. Apparently, the Speed Nut was invented by Albert Tinnerman.

While speedy to install, they can evidently get gone in equally speedy fashion. I freely admit that I learned this method from a friend with a Ducati Monster. :thumbsup:

I wonder if it is worth replacing them with a proper jam-nut.  I won't notice the 0.1 grams of extra mass, and a bit of locktite would even be possible.

I suppose the idea behind the 'speed nut' is to create a tension on the pivot pin without closing the housing onto the lever.

What would you use for a "jam nut?"

I suppose the idea behind the 'speed nut' is to create a tension on the pivot pin without closing the housing onto the lever.

A jam nut is nut a normal nut that is only 2-3 threads.  They are use as "stops" to keep other nuts from backing out by counter-torquing them.  They have enough thread that Locktite would be useful.  I will try to determine the thread on that and see if a i can find one.  Your are correct that the speednuts can't take as much pre-load as a normal nut, but I think they are there for manufacturing speed not to keep the housing from binding..

A jam nut is nut a normal nut that is only 2-3 threads.  They are use as "stops" to keep other nuts from backing out by counter-torquing them.  They have enough thread that Locktite would be useful.  I will try to determine the thread on that and see if a i can find one.  Your are correct that the speednuts can't take as much pre-load as a normal nut, but I think they are there for manufacturing speed not to keep the housing from binding..

It doesn't seem like assembly speed would be much of an issue with only two of these easily accessed fasteners per unit. I wonder if these impart a bit of spring tension to keep them in place without requiring  a torqued tightening?

It doesn't seem like assembly speed would be much of an issue with only two of these easily accessed fasteners per unit. I wonder if these impart a bit of spring tension to keep them in place without requiring  a torqued tightening?

Its hard to say. These handles get made by the thousands per year.  The speed nuts can be put on simply by pressing (I can't say for sure that they do that, but it is an authorized assembly method) which is why they are faster than normal nuts that need to be threaded.  The pressing operation can be automated fairing easily, or even have a semi-automatic pressing tool made.  Threading a nut onto the bolt is more difficult to automate or fixture.  Or, they could just be really cheap.  If they were really concerned about preload clamping the handle they would use a cotter pin rather that a nut.  Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Look up Rue Ring cotter pins on Google and see if one of these will work for you ?

You will have to drill a hole in the pivot pin for this . I have new computers and I am not smart enough to copy & paste yet .