Just a little bit of luggage

Scud

Pi day has come and gone - with no pie run (not even a pizza-pie). My new bag didn't show up, and other stuff got on the schedule today. Meanwhile, I've figured out how to carry even less stuff to San Jose (thanks to FedEx, the ultimate saddle-bag substitute) and have been obsessing over maps of California - there is just not enough time to visit all the twisty roads.  :race:

Here's one I've never been on before, but hope to "check-mark" on Monday:

That right there looks like a fine road indeed.  I am Capt. Envious. :angry:

I'd love to visit Califor-ni-ay but the good lord saw fit to put it seven thousand miles away without consulting me. :angry: :angry:

Scud- A friend and I began discussing an extended trip for later this summer on our bikes.  In preparation I began a search for additional soft luggage that I can use on my recently acquired LeMans as well as any of my other bikes in conjunction with my Tour Master "throw over bags".  Not knowing how often it would actually get used and being the cheap skate I am, I ended up buying a Nelson-Rigg CL400 Tail Bag for the exorbitant sum of $95.00.    I used it last week exclusively on the trip over to Daytona for Bike Week.  It easily held enough clothes for several days of travel. The ride over and back totaled close to 400 miles.  Arriving home I was unable to detect any signs of chaffing where the straps came in contact with the bike but if I were traveling farther I would certainly use some type of preventive chaff protection just to insure the paint and finish doesn't get damaged. Hope this helps and any questions or comments are welcome.         

• Like 1

I'd like to see a pic that tail pack mounted. Nelson-Rigg has impressed me with caring and prompt customer service on top of their good products.

Hmmmm, Clearwater, Florida? You're not far from czakky in St. Pete. Look for an informal gathering ("raduno") on the first weekend in May starting either in Safety Harbor or maybe out at Frenchy's on the beach, drag our way down the Gulf beaches and across the Skyway (back and forth) to end up in downtown St. Pete.  (yeah, sketchy details for a sketchy plan . . . :grin:

I went ahead and posted something in Meetings, Clubs & Events as my plans to get back to Pinellas County firm up at least to a consistency of, say, mascarpone. :cheese:

I ended up only using my Ogio Mach 5 backpack, which I now can recommend without hesitation. I carried 1.5 liters in a Camelback, plus clothes, snacks, etc. It was comfortable the whole trip - except once when I forgot to fasten the belt across my chest, then it pulled on my shoulders. When fastened correctly, even in some extreme cross-winds it was rock solid.

The Giant Loop bag was waiting for me at home... so I'll try it out later. It looks to be a high quality bag. Even though it's pricey, I think it will serve on multiple bikes - and I'd like to try some multi-day dirt bike trips, which that bag will be good for. On the cheap (aka rationalization) side - someday when I get another adventure bike I will save a lot of money by not buying the hard bags and mounts for it.

Here are some details from my trip to San Jose:

Monday: Carlsbad to San Jose via mostly coastal roads.  553 miles.

Tuesday: After work, Paso Robles via inland valleys. 162 miles.

Today: Paso Robles back to Carlsbad. 370 miles.

Total: Pretty close to 1,100 total miles.

Elevations from sea level to 7,000 feet.

I used almost 28 gallons of gas, yielding about 39 MPG.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-18%20at%206.28.2

Didn't stop to take many pics. But here are some in the Redwoods, North of Santa Cruz.

IMG_2912.jpg

Not to be deterred after all those miles, I found another way in....

IMG_2920.jpg

And the roads through the redwoods...  Wow.  Pictures cannot do it justice.

IMG_2926.jpg

This morning, in the Los Padres National Forest, someone said: "Let there be Guzzi."

IMG_2934.jpg

• Like 1

Love that last pic,. Motorcycling nirvana!

Thanks. My route yesterday was almost all new roads to me. The only other new part to me was the redwoods. Yesterday I planned the twistiest minor roads I could find and went from Paso Robles to San Bernardino without any freeway - and just a few visits to small cities to make sure there was gas on my route. 

More than once I thought - "this road can't be real..." For example, after crossing the Carrizo Plain. It was sunrise, the wildflowers were starting to bloom on the hillsides and the road was perfect. From there, it was a massive climb to where I took that last picture - which was at 5,200 feet. It was about at the dot above the Barbara in Santa Barbara on the map.

Shortly after that pic, I rode briefly into the cloud ceiling. Fortunately that didn't last long as I as started dropping elevation again.

Just epic... must do it again.  

Maybe next time I'll take a few days and a sleeping bag and tent. So much to see along the way.

• Like 1

Filled the Giant Loop Great Basin bag with towels, just to give it a road test.  It was a simple strap-on mount: removed seat cowl, used a micro-fiber cloth over the painted tail section, straps around footpeg brackets and under tail.  It's stable and it didn't interfere at all while riding.

photo IMG_2988.jpg

Double-wide pies.  That's living. Cherry Apple Flaky crust for the late Sunday breakfasters at home. And a frozen Chicken Pot Pie for later.  :food:

photo IMG_2989.jpg

• Like 1