V11 sport 03 - starter motor

ports

Hi,

Have had my v11 sport for about 3 years now and constantly having issue with the starter motor. The starter motor was replaced 2.5 years ago, however im still having problem with the bike turning over. There is a lead up phase before it stops working, it clicks a couple of times then turns over. The after i turn it off again the starter motor screeches and does turn over.. Then if i leave it again, the starter motor just clicks and doesnt turn over.

I had this problem 6 month ago for a couple of days then it started working again. Its now doing it again, could it be the wiring rather than the starter motor? The battery is fully charged and in good condition.

Wondering if this is a common problem with the V11.

any guidance is appreciated. 

cheer

Ports

As Steve says, it's a very common problem, I was able to fix mine by scraping the contacts with emery then bending the clips. Don't re-use the old fuse.

The starter motor screeches, perhaps it needs a good lube job.

Scrape clean and vaseline the battery terminals.

Inspect and clean the main ground where it connects to the gearbox, usually nearby the seat release lock. make sure it's not under the lock screw. I know of several that let out the magic smoke because of a bad ground.

The V11 Sport is the best wiring of any Guzzi IMHO, the starter solenoid is not through the ignition switch

• 1 month later...

Have had similar symptoms, a bit of a groan from the starter motor and then nothing but the clicks. I have gone over the entire electrical system and cleaned all the contacts, checked grounds, checked fuses, swapped relays etc but still nothing. So I pulled the starter motor yesterday and  . . . see if you can spot where the missing bolt should be.

starter.jpg

So much groaning from me. I have stripped and cleaned the starter motor, replaced the bolt, added a little grease and been generally nice to it, but it is clear there has been some cooking going on in here - that classic smell of burnt out electric motors. On reassembly I get the same low groan then clicks. Do you guys think it is worth replacing brushes or is the starter toast ? I have a brand new battery BTW. The starter is the original. 2002 sport.

Graev11 not  sure about brushes but I used gutsibits and bought a refurbed unit

Thanks. They seem to have the best price in the UK plus discount for the old motor. I am just going to re-check the ignition switch before buying. Cheers.

I am going for a new starter. It is definitely getting juice but the best I can get out of it is a very laboured spin for about a second and then the solenoid clicks (have tried two different batteries, fully charged, one brand new). Then end cap covering the brushes gets very hot so all is not well. Damn. This bike is practically brand new with all the parts I have replaced. Where's the scotch ?  :angry: