Suspension Upgrade Options

Craig

I don't have time, money, or knowledge to try out a bunch of different suspension updates for my Ballabio.  So I am hoping the collective wisdom here can help me sort out a few options.

Rear:

Buy SavageHenry used Ohlins unit and have it rebuilt.

Buy a new HyperPro.

Cost is about the same here when all is said and done.  Can anyone comment on the merits between these two units?

Front:

Have Todd at Guzzi Tech rebuild my Marzochhis

Graft a Suzuki GSXR fornt end on.

The cost here is quite a bit different, but the suzuki should bring much improved braking performance.  I like brakes.

I can do all of the labor for the options (other than the actual suspension unit rebuild)

90% of my riding is commuting but occasionally  I get out to some twisties.  I am not a particularly aggressive rider and I mostly want a bit better response on choppy roads.

OK, I'll bite:

Have Todd rebuild the Marzocchis with Raceco springs and valves. He did mine and they are great.

Todd also convinced me to NOT buy a used Ohlins, as the rebuild costs etc etc pushes the price higher than it's worth.

I ended up buying a simple Hyperpro 460 for the back.

BTW, my stock Brembos are fine. Are yours not?

Now my bike rides and handles like a new machine. Way better.

OK, I'll bite:

Have Todd rebuild the Marzocchis with Raceco springs and valves. He did mine and they are great.

Todd also convinced me to NOT buy a used Ohlins, as the rebuild costs etc etc pushes the price higher than it's worth.

I ended up buying a simple Hyperpro 460 for the back.

BTW, my stock Brembos are fine. Are yours not?

Now my bike rides and handles like a new machine. Way better.

Thanks for the insight.

As far as the brakes go cleaning the often times neglected pistons and making sure they work equally helps.

I am happy with the current braking performance, but better brakes are always better...

Ohlins are nice, But there are other high quality brands like Penske. The main advantage of a high quality shock is having it built to your needs. Whether the Ohlins is worth it depends on how much the used shock would cost. You would need to calculate the total cost after having it rebuilt and tailored to your needs. Once right Ohilins are nice, but honestly they tend to be the older style Ohlins when they are on a V11 and you can buy newer shocks with more features often for less than what you would have to spend on the Ohlins. People often think their used Ohlins are worth a lot. That said, if the numbers for the ohlins add up go for it. Other wise go for a new shock.

As to the forks, you can have them gone over by someone like Todd, and they should work pretty well. They will never work as well as a better set of forks work, and a set of GSXR forks is what I went with for my Daytona. But if you go that route you will also be dropping some coin on them to have them set up for your needs, just like the shock. Figure a grand for a used GSXR front end minimum when all is said and done. I think mine was over that but I added a Brembo radial master to improve the brakes that much more. The stock brakes are fine, mine are substantially better.

Most people would likely be happy with just having the stock forks done, but it comes down to how far you want to take it and how good you want it.

Another advantage with the GSXR front end is that it is significantly lighter than the Marzocchi. The stock Brembo wheels on our V11's are boat anchors, the fork legs themselves also are very heavy. You will save a good amount of weight.

The GSXR forks are also ~12mm shorter which makes for faster, almost "flickable" steering which remains stable at speed. Going down the straight at NJMP at 108mph with no steering stabilizer was perfectly smooth, and braking into turn 1 had more power than I needed to slow the bike down into the turn. I kept the stock Brembo mc, works just fine with the Tokico pots.

Which leads to a third advantage: there are so many parts available for Suzuki, it means servicing, and eventually down the line upgrading (such as the radial mc, caliper options, fancy rotors, fork cartridges, springs, wheels, etc etc.), is much easier, with more plentiful options to choose from. It's sick how much aftermarket support and documentation there is for the GSXR, esp. compared to our Guzzis.

Worth every penny and minute of work, imho.