New Here From Edinburgh, Scotland!

Big Tav

Hi guys, I have just found this forum and am looking to get a new bike. I sold my Victory Hammer S the other day as I didn't want so much money tied up in a bike with the amount of time I get to ride. 

I was looking to get something a lot cheaper but still be a bit quirky and interesting. I also like V-Twins.

I was thinking of a Ducati Monster S4r or a 999S, Aprilia Tuono, Suzuki TL1000R or a BMW R1200S. A few different bikes I know but you get the idea. All look great, will hold their value and won't bore me.

I was actually reading a review on the BMW R1200S and it that another bike that should be considered is a Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans. I looked at some photos and I really like the look of them! Fits all of my criteria as well.

I am not a fast rider and I just want a nice bike to ride and look after it without sending me bankrupt maintaining it (which worries me a bit with a Ducati)

I looked at all the Moto Guzzi's for sale on the Biketrader.co.uk and it I think I only like the look of the V11.

I know that this is a V11 forum but is there any other bike I should consider?

Hear from you all soon!

Scott

The v11 is probably going to make the least outright power of the bikes you listed. It does have gobs of usable power and probably more than anyone would ever need. The BMW to me was porky and boring the suzuk TL has the most abrupt throttle of any bike I've ridden (never ridden an sv 1000 but heard good things) I've ridden a few Duc monster variants and like them but there is something special to me about the V11 series.... Obviously

Fits all of my criteria as well.

. . . and won't bore me.

Hear from you all soon!

Scott

Let's see: affordable, approachable maintenance, V-twin, fun . . . and a hammer? This is your dream bike!

DSCN3012.jpg

I know that this is a V11 forum but is there any other bike I should consider?

You could take a look at the Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, I think the black and white ones are gorgeous. Ducatis with the 1000DS motor are relatively less expensive to maintain than some of the higher-tech motors. KTM Super Duke is another nice option in the big-twin sporting department.

I've had a couple BMWs (too pedestrian...) and some other big twins, including the Ducati Sport 1000 (uncomfortable for long rides...). The V11 is, at least for me, my favorite bike of all time. I've been thinking "why did I wait so long to get a Moto Guzzi?" It ticks all the boxes for me.

Have fun deciding.

Thanks for the replies. I saw this bike but I think the dealer is asking a premium for it http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171775740293

Is the V11 Sport the same bike just not a limited edition? Same engine or detuned? I saw a Sport for £4000.

Is the V12 just the updated version of this bike or is it a different looking bike all together?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I saw this bike but I think the dealer is asking a premium for it http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171775740293

Is the V11 Sport the same bike just not a limited edition? Same engine or detuned? I saw a Sport for £4000.

Is the V12 just the updated version of this bike or is it a different looking bike all together?

V11 Sport is a naked bike; the Tenni was a special commemorative version of the V11 Le Mans (slightly trick like the Scura, it had the aluminum single-plate clutch that tends to grenade the motor over time. Sometimes cheap & cheerful steel is still the best answer...) Engines otherwise same same. Me personally, I love the Tenni green & silver color combo, and prefer the Le Mans fairing to the naked Sport, altho' the Sport is a fine looker too [along w/ the 1/4 faired Ballabio, Cafe, or Coppa. Never much cared for the Scura, but that's just me, plenty of others like the Scura colors more than the Tenni's... ;) ]

The V12 Sport looks little like the V11s, since it is an offshoot of the later V11 (then V12) Breva. Google images of the Breva to get an idea of the styling, only the V12 Sport is a black & white combo that makes you instantly think "Cop bike" (if you're from the States) or "Skunk!" if you're a hick like me... ;)

Best of luck w/ your buying decision. Of the bikes you list, I suspect a well-cared-for TL1k would hold it's value the best [since it's already completely depreciated and should be extremely cheap now, plus starting off as the lowest-priced of the lot] and be the most-trouble free/low maintenance ride. Guzzis can rival it once they're well-sorted, but getting to that stage can be a long, irksome process, and of course, you'll be adjusting the valves more often since the TL1k has shim-under-bucket tappets [but the trade off is, major PITA to do the adjustments when necessary, vs. the 1/2 hour job on a Guzzi...] The 'priller & the duck are fun bikes, but you'll come to hate your mechanic's children you're paying to put thru college, and the Bimmer is supposed to be a fine bike but who wants to ride a mount w/ sagging jugs? Guzzis are naturally perkier! ;)

Seriously, run by the dealerships & cadge test rides on all you can [obviously, Suzuki has nothing like the TL1K any more, but try a VStrom [DL1k] and imagine it twitchier and with more fire in the blood, like a stallion vs. a gelding, and that would be a good approximation of the TL vs. DL... :D]

Skeeve- Regarding the BMW, I bought a 1980 R100T and put several thousand miles on it last summer. It was a nice bike, very comfortable and plenty of power for one or two up riding but never really did anything for me so I sold it. When it came time to adjust the valves I found a You Tube series with various "how to videos" describing maintenance procedures. It also describes issues comparing the older model airheads like mine to the newer model oilheads. Many of the so called "improvements" were anything but. In particular the newer designs of the clutches which apparently need frequent repair/replacement depending on use. As I recall there have been several factory recalls on the various models so do your research.

For the Aprilia's, the Rotax powered v-twins are very dependable, almost bullet proof. Most of the bugs were worked out and require very little maintenance. The v-twin is basically the same engine used in the Can-Ams which is comforting when on long trips. They also have a great website, (AF-1), and like this forum, have many knowledgeable members with tons of experience both racing and touring the different models. Probably a good comparison to the TL1000 both being liquid cooled.

My LeMans just gives me "that thrill" every time I push the start button. It does everything I ask of it with very little fuss. Plenty of power, comfortable ride, good handling and I can do much if not most of the maintenance myself, and I don't have to worry about seeing one on every corner. Hope this helps, good luck with your choice.

BT, the tenni in Shipley looks lovely, price seems high but it is a limited edition production of a damn fine riding machine.

Personally, I'd love one.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to use it regularly as I'd be permanently worried about it getting nicked/damaged.

V11's seem to be worth 3 grand plus at the mo.  A really scratty one maybe a bit less?  At this stage the values can surely only go up.

Before I chanced upon my lovely lovely lovely V11, I was looking at either an SV1000, aprilia falco or buell firebolt which all seem to be great fun.  I am so pleased with the guzz though!  She's heavy, down on power on paper, can't match Japanese reliability, but rides beautifully. :wub:

HI guys, thanks for the replies! This is a hard one! I only really came across these bikes a few days ago. I really like the look of the Le Mans V11 Tenni as well but I am not going to pay collectors price for one. I might be just just as happy with a V11 Sport for example. I have been offered a V11 Cafe Sport with Ohlins and 22,000 miles for £5,000 and the hard part for me is to know if that is a good price or not? I also am not sure it will be a better bike that the Tuono or the BMW R1200s for the same money.

The biggest problem I am going to have is that all of the bikes I am looking at are sort of hard to come buy so they will be bought unseen and without a test ride. 

If anyone sees a bike that I should go for please let me know.

This is a hard one! 

I also am not sure it will be a better bike.......

Well, "better" is so subjective and personal. Therefore, the answer is, "Yes, the V11 is better."

I'd also suggest that the Cafe Sport is a superior rider's motorcycle compared to the Tenni, and at a lower price. Better suspension, clutch, and some other improvements that started in 2003.

You never had a Guzzi before. Now you want one. What's so hard about that?

http://www.veldhorst.nl/downloads/wp-e800x600.jpg

Cafe sport without a doubt!  Look! They even made the forks out of Gold!!  (See if you can talk the price down to £4,500!)  Won't be as fast as a tuono though- if that's what teases your weasel that is...
Maybe a good question would be:  How happy are you to get yer paws dirty?  Got tools?
I think mine's a 'good one', but she still wants a fair bit of attention.

Plus, Scotland is jam packed with BMW's already.

Stew

Scott, buying a Guzzi is not the 'sensible thing' to do, you buy one because you want one not because you need one, if you have any second thoughts then buy a Yamazuki and you will never break down and it will run smooth forever without getting your hands oily, it is my Cafe Sport you are thinking about buying and it's difficult to compare it to others cos it's the only one for sale in the UK, I am not trying to talk you out of it but I think you should know what you are getting into.    

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry if it seems like I am sitting on the fence or asking too many questions. I have had a lot of bikes in the past and I am not a stranger to spending on bikes (although I would like to keep that to a minimum going forward). I have been more of a customiser in the past. Harleys and Victories are a great way to part with cash and when you are doing in on £10,000+ bikes it gets out of hand quickly and I just don't ride enough to justify that much money.

I know what you are saying Steve about if I wanted one I would have bought your already. I just don't know what I am looking at other than it looks lovely. I am sure there are forum members on here thinking I am crazy not for buying it already. I just don't know enough about them in a couple of days to know if £5,000 is a bargain, fair, top money etc and if it is the exact model I would want.

The hardest thing for me to know is if I was to spend £4-5,000 is the bast bike for me going to be a Guzzi, BMW R1200S or an Aprilia Tuono.

You can find a good standard  V11 Sport for £3k, the V11 Le Mans can be found for a bit more money and has a good fairing for touring, that's why I have one, these bikes are basically the same spec, pre 2001 they had a narrower rear wheel, silver forks engine and wheels after that black, then you have the limited edition bikes, Nero Corsa, Rosso Corsa, Scura, Tenni, Rosso Mandello, and Cafe Sport again basically all similar spec but some have Ohlins suspension, the Cafe Sport and the Ballabio have normal alloy handlebars the rest have clipons

If you want a limited edition V11 you won't have much choice in the UK, I paid £6k for my Nero and that Tenni for sale is top money but where do you find another one, that said a standard V11 Sport will do the same thing for less money.

Hope this helps with your decision