Removing Tekno bag mounts

BMWDavid

I recently purchased a 2003 V11 LeMans. It came with the Tekno bags and mounts. There is a broken weld on one of the mounts that I need to fix. Meanwhile I want to take the mounts off and ride the bike w/o the mounts and bags. It appears that I can reuse the hardware at the rear fender and passenger foot pegs. Can I use the existing hex head bolt at the upper hanger location after removing the spacer?

Any advise on these bags/mount will be much appreciated.

I know...I need to post pictures of my new ride.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how the Tekno system mounts so probably not much help, but I have the stock MG tail rack, and reused my longer bolts. There's a welded on spacer with the mount bracket that brings the rack rearward. The rack then mounts to those, and only those. The bracket with spacer is about 3/4" thick. The longer bolts,(maybe 7/8?) when the brackets were off, worked fine. I found releasing the seat/tail bodywork was necessary on one side to keep from scratching the paint near the rear of foot peg brackets. When I decided to leave the rack on permanently, I replaced the bolts with stainless. MG was generous with stainless compared to other makes, but they didn't get them all.

That forward bolt on the passenger peg/exhaust hanger is much longer for the bag spacer. I would think you would be better to source a shorter fastener, maybe 20-25 mm.

Yes...its way to long now. I tried to source it at Harpers but it shows no longer available. I'll try some Guzzi dealers to see if they have them in stock. Also the two rear screws that go through the fender are to long as well...I'll see if I can find them as well.

FootGoose-thanks for reply.

After looking at things some more it appears that the bolt/washer/nuts that go through the muffler stay and the hanger are from the Tekno mounting kit. My '02 V11 has a through bolt from the inside going outwards and capped by an acorn nut.

Is this the same for a '03 V11?

Yep...that's what I plan on doing Monday. We have a local Fastenal store so hoping they can match all the bolts/nuts.

I just got my replacement screws (Fastenal) that I needed to change out the longer ones used on the Tekno mounts. They are the same appearance and physical dimensions. Other than the slightly different color because they are Stainless Steel they are a perfect match.

Sounds good, David. :thumbsup:

Those inboard facing threads will be much happier with a full coat of anti-seize thread lubricant; especially since they're stainless . . .

These pannier mounts have been known to cause cracks at various points in the mounting brackets and tabs, so look them all over really well.

docc,

Yep, got some anti-seize on them. I was aware that stainless reacts with steel and sets up corrosion. The only thing I saw broken was the tab on the right lower front (passenger/muffler bolt) bag mount. A clean fracture right where the flat part joins the tubing. It looks like the weld itself separated. I'll be an easy clean weld job for a shop.