V11 Custom build

stewgnu

Rare article on a V11 custom build (maybe because they look so damn fine as standard??):

Some interesting details (wheels, tank, carbs), looks quite unique.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2015/07/10/00-moto-guzzi-v11-sport-santiago-choppers.html

"...The power and the torque of this engine is so cool.”  Hear hear!!

"...original, bulbous lines..."  How very dare you!

Apparently used a fuckin magic wand somewhere as it claims to have shaved more than 50 kilos (110lbs) off the weight!!??

How much?

I mean, I love the way my v11 handles, but she aint no lightweight.

Just imagine if she did weigh 168 kilos... :blink::bike:

Sweet bike. Let's see if we can figure how they shaved 50 kilos (110 pounds) off the bike. Here's what I spotted:

1. Excel Wheels
  2. Smaller tank (but if it's metal, not sure it would weigh less than the stock plastic tank)
  3. Box exhaust
  4. No accommodation for pillion (seat, hangers, pegs)
  5. Switch to carbs (no ECU, fuel pump, other injection parts, no airbox (or filters that I can see)
  6. Total rewire: no signals, no horns, fewer gauges/lights, fewer switches (such as sidestand), I assume there is a lithium battery hiding in tail or under tank, also assume no need for relays and associated wiring
  7. Drill holes in frame, swingarm, and final drive housing
  8. Shock without reservoir

What else?

yeah, but 50 kilos....
helium in the tyres?

hydrogen in the frame?

Admittedly, the stock exhausts, battery and tyres do weigh a ton...

Ahh, just noticed those fat holes in the spine.

Ditching the nasty, useless hugger'll save a few grams too....  Although won't the rear tyre spray crud towards the carb inlets?

Since the exhaust would have to come off to drain the oil, maybe there's no oil in it - saves over twenty pounds right there! :whistle:

I do like the Manx theme.

• Like 1

1. I bet the whole front end (clamps, forks, brakes, etc.) weighs less than stock.
  2. I imagine the bike is not carrying the stock tool kit (how many pounds for that?).
  3. Don't underestimate the weight of the stock wiring harness and all the related connectors, switches, and sensors. I got a spare harness for parts and was surprised at how heavy it is.
  4. No steering damper
  5. No plug guards
  6. There's a huge pile of take-offs somewhere - look at the v-shaped brackets from frame to engine - there's nothing in there.

My LeMans had K&N pods and no hugger when I got it.  It was a mess from tire spray - including that the inboard sides of the air pods were clogged with debris (sand and pebbles).

Beauty seems to have been prioritized above daily utility for this build - and beauty (IMO) has been accomplished. Great for a collection, but not sure I'd want to ride it a lot.

Since we're critiquing... if I had been given "carte blanche" as the article states, I would have used some billet fluid reservoirs instead of the clear plastic cups, and installed a Roper plate to keep the oil flowing during the inevitable wheelies... 

I have seen a few of his builds (Santiago) he seems to utilize the spine framed Guzzis quite a bit. Saw a carbon fiber sport 1100 that remained in my dreams (and nightmares) for a couple months after. Good taste but not very functional . Would be cool as a second or third bike.

Bet it's not easy being a custom bike builder though.  Seems no matter how much love and care they put into their bikes there's folks moaning about how they don't like the tyres/mudguards/seat/paint-job/exhausts/blingy fasteners etc.

I remember that carbon job:

http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-daytona-custom

Looks pretty damn cool, apart from all the blingy fasteners.

I can't help thinking how sweet a 170 kilo V11 would handle!  I'd last about a day before ending up in hospital or jail...

uhhmma I dunno.

but what's the verdict on the underside exhaust?  It looks cool, I got the impression that it doesn't perform and doesn't last. 

Well I thought the can were kinda fugly... however it allows a nice view of the lovely swingarm.

I prefer my tasty titanium mistrals :food:  which weigh less'n a handful o' o-rings.

There's nothing like getting passed by two or three V11 at full chat with their pipes pointed right at you! :o:thumbsup::grin:

*BTW, while the "TT" custom is a late frame (long frame) V11, the "carbon bike" is an earlier spine (narrow sump Sport 1100 with 5speeder/cable clutch).

I bought an ECU from the builder of that Pipeburn bike off of ebay a couple years ago to keep as a spare.  The builder Alain said he didn't need it because he was converting his V11 to carbs.  I believe he's a member of this forum although I don't think he's very active.  He seemed like a real nice guy based on a few emails and the purchase was hassle free.

I wonder how he's triggering the ignition on that bike?