Factory stand BTW

docc

Jeez you guys can bang on. I need to fab up a stand system from plywood, threaded rod, two car scissor jacks and lumber, maybe some thin flat mild steel reinforcement. Any bright ideas? I don't care if it takes half an hour to lift.

Hmmm....  How about:

2 x (25-36mm thickness) teardrop shaped 'sides'.

Holes at suitable points to enable sides to be fixed and rotate in unison (flat- or round-bar slid thru?).  (Prob need fixing somehow for rigidity).

Holes at 'pointy' ends to accept chop mounts.  Or permanently attached sockets for chop nut?

More holes to accept threaded bar for clamping all together with wingnuts.

Attachments at round ends to accept extension bars for lifting leverage.

I could sketch this up if my explanation is lacking?

Here ya go!

v11stand.jpg

Each wooden plate requires only three slots and two holes to be routed into it.

The flat-bars are set to double up as a leverage point.

The top-mounts will need some further thought:  Perhaps a recess for sockets?  Or would some metal tubing work?

I can't see this taking much more than half a day to construct- less if you're handy and have a jigsaw & router.

I'd say it'd get the bike up in less than 5 mins too.  You can use a jack to raise the front if required.

Thanks. I dig the cam action in place of wheels. Not sure on the weight capacity and stability. I am inclined to make it stiff and one piece to cradle the underside of the frame between the porkchops and nix the threaded rod.

Aye, well it's just the bare bones of an idea.  The metal pieces are likely to need drilling for pins to prevent slippage.

I'd double up 18mm pieces of good, hardwood ply each side.  36mm should hold a bike ok.

The lever left in place would act as a stop.  Which could be a 'U' shape, engaging at both sides and going around the rear wheel.

Sweet dreams

Factory stand seems great - till you need to take off the porkchops for some reason. Then you need another way to support the bike. I've just ordered a small platform jack.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist-Stand/dp/B00E8HGCEY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1447081835&sr=8-5&keywords=platform+jack

80 buckaroos?  Mustn't grumble eh?

Not cheap, but it'll get a lot of use. The way I'm getting the front wheel off the ground now is not very stable - and one mistake could cost a lot more than $80. I'm gonna help my buddy put some tires on his Harley Sportster soon - but we couldn't figure out how to lift it with tools I had available. This little beauty will do the trick.

Aye, well it's just the bare bones of an idea.  The metal pieces are likely to need drilling for pins to prevent slippage.

I'd double up 18mm pieces of good, hardwood ply each side.  36mm should hold a bike ok.

The lever left in place would act as a stop.  Which could be a 'U' shape, engaging at both sides and going around the rear wheel.

Sweet dreams

I am struggling to see the angles in my minds eye but I think you're onto something with symmetry.

What's the deal with lifting the whole weight on the sump? Crushed sump?

Believe me the clamping force of the mount bolts is way in excess of the weight of the bike.

Not even worth considering.

Ciao 

• Like 1

What's the deal with lifting the whole weight on the sump? Crushed sump?

Believe me the clamping force of the mount bolts is way in excess of the weight of the bike.

Not even worth considering.

Ciao

the sump pan itself not looking too sturdy was my concern.