Factory stand BTW

docc

the sump pan itself not looking too sturdy was my concern.

It is a very sturdy piece.  It is a pretty thick casting, not a sheet metal stamping like on most cars. If you were trying to lift a 1600kg car maybe it would have problems.  I

the sump pan itself not looking too sturdy was my concern.

It is a very sturdy piece.  It is a pretty thick casting, not a sheet metal stamping like on most cars.

Agreed. I have supported the whole bike's weight with a car floor jack and some wood. The only thing I worry about is putting too much pressure on one fin with a metal lifting surface - that's why I use wood, which absorbs some of the stress. While it's up in the air, you may as well measure your suspension sag...

My platform jack arrived yesterday.  I had seen pictures of other people using them, especially with lift tables - it seemed a great solution. It's a very nice device, and only about the size of a large book.

What's the deal with lifting the whole weight on the sump? Crushed sump?

Believe me the clamping force of the mount bolts is way in excess of the weight of the bike.

Not even worth considering.

Ciao 

Am I right in thinking that's fourteen bolts torqued to 12nm?  How's the total calculated?

Spent a good chunk of yesterday sketching a cam and figuring torque needed before noticing the porkchops splay out interfering with the cam.

Then I got to thinking it might not be too hard to simply manually hoist the bike across and up off the side stand onto a well attached axle stand under the cross frame on the right side. ( When leant over on the sidestand the right side is 29cm up already, enough elevation I think )

Once ''up'', kick a suitable block under left side, chock front wheel have a wee rest?

Zooter,

You can use a piece of 100x100 or similar between the sump and a small trolley jack successfully. I made up a wooden stand a little higher than sump level when the bike is vertical. Once the bike was lifted with the trolley jack I lowered it down onto my wooden stand. The sump is the balance point so if you want to take the rear wheel off lift from the front of the sump and lower the bike onto the stand placed at the rear of the sump. Lift rear and use stand at front to remove the front wheel. I have only taken one wheel off at a time if you plan to do both at once then you will need something more substantial.

What part of the country are you in, your profile doesn't give much away at all.

Rob 

I have the workshop stand from gutsibits, which is a great, sturdy design and I've used it loads.

Obviously the porkchop problem remains.  Plus you're in NZ...... 

The basic design is mostly simple square section and flat bar welded up- maybe not a deal of effort for a capable welder/metalworker?

These bikes are pretty heavy- i wouldn't want to be struggling hoisting it about.

I think I have a solid idea now. Front wheel chock catcher. A slot together shoe for the rear wheel that my two scissor jacks can lift fore and aft. Then prop under the frame with wide single unit. Just need to ensure I can get more lift than the static sag. Everything to ride on a ply sheet that I could turn into a lift table in the future.