Throttle body balance rod repair

jeffachenbach

Not having the system here to look at, can we not replace the original system with a rod and a pair of heim joints?

That, if possible, seems like it would be the better way.An all metal heim joint, like is used for the shift linkage.

That would be an elegant solution. :thumbsup:  A little harder, perhaps, to "pop off" the right side for baseline TPS tuning, and a little heavier, maybe.

The Mercedes part looks to be all metal with an internal spring clip; probably never need another.

I was hoping to get a cross reference so anyone could walk into a parts store and get a replacement.

Bah - I tried ordering from SpringFix in UK, but would have to get 4 pieces, minimum, and still not sure the cost of shipping. All this for a part that "ain't broke yet." Their part certainly looks to be the direct replacement.

I'll be trying again to waltz into a US generic auto parts store and get a replacement part. Maybe this isn't going to happen with the age of the Mercedes and Volvo cross references.

Glad to have the "heads-up" on this part failure!

Replacement part on the way.... it is great fun to be able to salvage bits from my "parts-bike" boxes and solve a parts-sourcing problem.

Good man Scud ... in fact we may soon change your name to Spud in recognition of enthusiasm for fellow Guzzisti (noise in background from Docc ... apparently that admonification already taken, or at least aspired to) ... great collaboration on this site, always has been.

• Like 1

My Sport would have become a "parts bike" long, long ago if not for the members of this forum. :notworthy::mg:

I tried, once more, to have my local parts store bring up a "throttle linkage socket" for either Volvo or Mercedes.

No go. At least here, in the US, don't expect to find this part easily on the fly.

If yours is showing signs of loosening, or cracking - time for pre-emptive replacement.

I'm inclined toward the all metal (Mercedes) part. Once installed  - plan on a throttle body balance  .  .  .

...we may soon change your name to Spud...

I don't understand the Spud reference - unless this a potato joke, because the part in question is going to Jeff in Idaho. ("Great Potatoes")

My Sport would have become a "parts bike" long, long ago if not for the members of this forum. :notworthy::mg:

I tried, once more, to have my local parts store bring up a "throttle linkage socket" for either Volvo or Mercedes.

No go. At least here, in the US, don't expect to find this part easily on the fly.

If yours is showing signs of loosening, or cracking - time for pre-emptive replacement.

I'm inclined toward the all metal (Mercedes) part. Once installed  - plan on a throttle body balance  .  .  .

Who knew such a little part could be such a big problem? Be careful with those little buggers... or if somebody finds them, buy the whole box and share. Seems like a worthy addition to the fix-it-on-the-road kit (if you can find one).

Good Day

Here is a link to the plastic cup at FCP Groton in the US, where I buy a lot of Volvo parts. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-throttle-ball-socket-240-genuine-volvo-946704

There are a couple of different part numbers, as there are left hand thread versions as well as left hand versions. The plastic cups are great, as they have a little tab lock on the tp to keep the ball captured.  If you google Volvo throttle linkage, you will come up with many sources for these parts, both the cups as well as the rods and balls.

As there were virtually millions of the 240/740/940 models built in Canada or imported to north America from Sweden, from the early 80's (introduction of the throttle body) up to the mid 90's, you should have no difficulty finding one or two in the junk yard, where you can find these linkages for a buck or two. 

Alternatively, metal versions are available from S.U., although I am not sure that they would be a direct installation, and may require some fiddling and fettling.

Hope this helps 

JD

Here is another Volvo link. Items 19 to 20 in the picture.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=235617

But you will pay too much if you buy new......

JD

Looks like #19 is Left Hand. The V11 socket is Right Hand, so it must be #20  :huh2:  (not specified on their description).

$18.78 shipped in the mid-USA from a day away . . .  $6.00 part and I choked on the shipping. Still looking for a cross reference that will put one in our hands at any local parts store. I'm thinking Europeans can more easily get this part fitted from most Volvos and Mercedes for almost twenty years. Yet,  I don't think I found an automotive cross reference for anything newer than 1993-1996.

From the Centauro Owners Group Forum

Ok, here's one. You know the plastic fitting that screws on the rod that snaps on the ball on the right fuel injector? Wears out over time, and can actually fall off. (designed to fail) icon_eek.gif  icon_biggrin.gif It isn't listed on the parts list. Hmmm. 

Mercedes throttle rod end, p/n 000 991 88 22 
made of steel, slightly longer than the original Guzzi part. 
$5 US. Thanks to Todd of MPH for that one. Looks like it'll last forever. 
Cheers! 
Chuck in Indiana

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers to you, Bruce. Gotta love the internet. No way I could keep a V11 without it. Still the Mercedes part of it gives me shudders. Merc in NZ is $$ not $. Is there a US merchant that will dropship to US address on my NZ credit card or paypal?