BMW Flying Bricks (K-bikes)

You might also hear breaking glass after someone yells "Flying Brick! Duck!"  But then a BMW and a Ducati ride by...

I just rode my little brick 100 miles last night - home from Los Angeles airport. 90MPH midnight run down I-405 and I-5 the whole way, and I hardly heard anything.

The brick aficionados relate to the shape, but also to the bikes being as simple, sturdy, and reliable as bricks.

• 4 months later...

A little late to the party on this thread ... I bought my UK spec '94 K75s in 2006 with around 60k miles, and brought it back to Canada at the end of 2014. I have about 65k miles on it now. The bike was stored for long periods between trips to the UK - but always started first on second time ... amazing!

I have the factory hard bags (which hold an amazing amount of stuff) and the only modification made was to install a factory low-seat option as my in-seam is not the longest. At first my feeling was that it could use a 6th gear, but now realise that the motor is quite happy at higher revs (the 750 is counter-balanced) and acceleration is very impressive. Some have described the exhaust note as bland - but to my ear there is a most pleasant back-burble on deceleration. The motor has an almost electric / linear feel to it and fuel economy is awesome (~50 mpg).

Servicing the splines is a bit of a pain - but must be done as it's a "dry" shaft system (ie not oil bathed, but grease only) - otherwise servicing is easy to do. Front brakes are not the strongest and would benefit from careful pad selection and braided lines. There's even radial tires available that fit!

The bikes are very long-lived and parts (new or used) readily available ... I have had nothing but good service from motorworks in the UK for example.

Another resource I would recommend would be the motobrick forum ... lots of fellow enthusiasts and a great resource ... much as this site is for the V11.

Personally I think it would be hard to find a more reliable, or even suitable touring mount given the relatively low cost of entry. Highly recommended.