Suspension upgrades

czakky

I've been thinking about upgrading my lemans suspenders. My forks are starting to weep a little and I'm just not really thrilled about either end of suspension.

Thinking about going with a Hyperpro shock and possibly sending my forks to Todd at Guzzitech or rebuilding them myself.

For those of you with upgraded suspension what's your experience? Progressive or straight rate fork springs? Probably can't afford a fancy Ohlins Shock but would take any suggestions.

Shock

I went with the less-expensive Hyperpro 460 shock (461 has a reservoir, reservoir can be added to 460 later to make it a 461). It was a huge improvement over the Sachs unit (but I don't think mine was in good shape, so probably not a totally fair comparison). I would recommend the Hyperpro. However, if I had it to do over again, I would go with the Penske 8900E shock through Todd for about the same money as the Hyperpro. Todd confirmed that there is a Penske, non-reservoir unit works (but that was unclear at the time that I got my Hyperpro).

Forks

I'm with you on the front end - still thinking about trying to do them myself and plug an oil-passage hole as GuzziMoto did - or send them to Todd for his "magic." He doesn't sell a DIY kit, because whatever he does is his proprietary knowledge. I'm leaning toward sending them his way - mostly because my wrench-to-ride ratio has gotten out of balance lately (plus, having met him recently, I like doing business with people I know). I think straight rate springs chosen for you and your bike would be preferable to progressive springs.

Todd DOES sell Penske (but not Hyperpro). At the time I was shopping, he only a offered a Penske unit with a remote reservoir for about $1,000. That was more than I wanted to spend, so I went with the Hyperpro from another vendor - found a special offer that included a free rebuild in future, so I'm holding onto that coupon.

Todd's Guzzitech website now lists a less expensive ($650) Penske shock (no reservoir) that Todd knows works on V11s. But Penske does not officially list this shock for the V11; they only list the direct replacement with the remote reservoir.  

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/penske-racing-monoshocks-8900e/

To restate/simplify: I am 100% happy with the Hyperpro shock. I would get the Penske if I was shopping today for two reasons:

1. I think the Penske might be a little better.
  2. I would prefer to give my business to Todd.

If you think you might have Todd do your forks, it makes sense to have him do front and rear at the same time.

My wife's V11 has the Penske with reservoir at the rear and the forks I modded to actually give them compression dampening. My wife's V11 is an early red frame bike so its suspension may not be the same as yours. But the way hers were stock they had zero compression dampening until the forks were about 3/4 through there travel. At that time the bleed holes were covered up and the oil had to actually go through the valving in the piston. But until then the oil just went through the two bleed holes and not through the valving. I blocked off one of the two bleed holes and that gave me dampening. It meant that oil had to go through the valve stack.

That said, if you are not a tinkerer type sending them to someone who knows them well, like Todd, is a good idea.

Good to know guzzimoto, I knew you had worked some magic on your wife's bike but couldn't remember what it was. I do like to tinker but I just don't want to make an adjustment to the forks and not be happy with them. Kinda leaning towards sending them out.

A Racetech tech told me that single rate springs work best on front forks.  I am not sure for the reason.

Also, someone on the board here had found a Racetech Gold Valve kit that fits the V11 although no kit was listed by Racetech.  You might search the board.

The right springs and oil selection can work wonders for small $$.

Yet, I find seals to be fussy. Making me fond of   :notworthy: Seal Whisperers.

I am also partial to straight rate springs. I tried a fancy dual rate spring set up once, it was not a good idea. Straight rate springs are the way to go if you can get a spring rate that is right for you and the bike. The only real advantage to dual rate springs is it allows a "one size fits all" mentality. The biggest issue with progressive springs is that spring rate and dampening should work as a team, but with progressive springs and straight dampening they really don't. They can't.

He quoted me around $550 for most everything (springs, seals, oil etc) but shipping.

Kinda leaning towards this route as much as I would like to tear into the forks and learn a little something.

Thanks for the explanation on progressive versus straight rate springs Guzzimoto.

That's not bad. At that cost I'd send my forks off to Todd.

This last winter I took apart my forks, changed the oil, didn't need to change the seals. Then, with help, set up the sag.

Man, what a difference!

So now knowing what a maintained factory set up can do. I'm watching your thread with interest.

With the 2004 there is adjustment with the fork caps and my weight fell within the range specifications.

The forks needed fresh oil, the adjustment was out of balance and the hight of each leg was different above the tree. So just getting it back to specs improved things no end.