Tenni clutch replacement

toofat2fly

I purchased a Tenni #112 and would like to get the clutch replaced. Just in case. I have no clear preference staying with single plate or "upgrading" to dual plate assembly.

However, those who have done this before:

1) Which clutch and flywheel you chose?

2) Single or dual?

3) Where to purchase it?

I read the Tenni/Scura clutch topic and it appeared that clutches are no longer available?

What's my options, would like to take the Tenni out for a few thousand mile trip this summer...

Thanks in advance,  Lauri

I replaced Scura clutch assembly (same as Tenni) with a RAM single-plate obtained new from Agostinis.

Is it a complete kit for swap out? How long did it take to get it? What was the cost? I have inquired with them and await a response. Just curious of your experience.

Complete kit.

Some years ago now, but came from stock in a few days.

Cost about £400 or perhaps £450 (UK).

There's a load of stuff in old posts about this.

I don't seem able to post a link in this reply, but search "Pictures of my exploding flywheel" + "Ferguzzi"

I had to use original centre button from Scura in place of the one came w kit (clutch pushrod wouldn't engage w that one). Also, my kit came w/o bolts to fit to flywheel which meant I had to disassemble. Agostinis were not helpful in addressing either of these problems.

KB

thanks Baldini. I was hopeful that was the same kit as MG Cycles sells (except they can't get them). It seems it's not quite the same, as MG's is assembled, aligned, and ready to install... but unobtainable, of course.

I read that thread some time ago, and couldn't find it again, so thanks. I will look it up.

Kit's aside, and the flywheel being the problem, why can we not replace just that with a steel one? I guess I don't understand how a 1 plater FW differs from a 2 plater. Except the alloy and the part number.

The twin-plate & single-plate clutches are completely different designs. Twin-plate uses coil springs, single-plate uses diaphragm spring. Far as I know no parts are interchangeable.

Never heard of a steel flywheel to fit the single-plate clutch.

If you replace with a twin-plate, you will need to change clutch hub too & maybe pushrod too? There's loads of threads dealing with this here.

Twin-plate assemblies can be lightened considerably.

KB

KB - thanks, I'll put that fantasy to rest. I'm not concerned with weight, just reliability.

From Agostini -

Ciao John
        Thanks for contact us , the price for one of this clutch kit shipped to USA is 560.00 euro but in this moment is not available, the new production
is scheduled  for March ! 

Best Regards
Luca - Team Agostini

that be $606. US  I asked but they didn't say who the mfg was. Hopefully it's RAM and MG Cycles will get a batch too. I like having someone closer and more communicative to deal with.

Footgoose, I like the faster spin-up & light change of single plate, but sure it won't do the mileage of a twin-plate & isn't as robust. If those are the qualities you're after, I think it would be better to go to a twin plate, as others have done - there's not a huge difference in use, as you'll know from your own bikes? KB 

@Lauri - my RAM clutch has been on backorder with MG Cycle for about 6 months, with no expected delivery date. However, they said they received and sold a couple just before I placed my order. Supposedly, the new RAM design is much longer laster (like over 40,000 miles for plates). I like the fact that it's a complete kit and easy to install (if you ever get one). There are a few threads with lists of all parts need and good photos of swapping out the single-plate for dual.

I intend to put the RAM clutch on my Scura, but if that doesn't show up before the next major service, then I'll install a twin-plate instead.

Damn.... I'll have to call Roland at Spare Parts, if he has any suggestions.

Kind of difficult to replace a clutch with parts that are unobtainable.

I would like to get this done before end of May, since I'm taking off for few thousand mile trip to Tennessee/SC area with my brother. He will be piloting the Tenni and I'll take Stelvio NTX.

This way he will get a Guzzi after the trip and stops talking about KTM's..