I have been looking forward to this trip for over a year, it's finally less than a week away.

I couldn't afford a Guzzi to ride so I will be on an old red Flying Brick. Hopefully the beamer will be as reliable as they are claimed to be but if anyone there can send me their phone No in a PM just in case I would appreciate it.

The Fanau is particularly thin on the ground down the South Island.

Thanks

Roy

Have a great time in the land of the long white cloud. I've been to the North Island a couple times and vowed that someday I would tour both islands on a motorcycle (still on the proverbial bucket list). Driving on the left side of the road is a bit intimidating though...

That'll be late summer down-under - with really long days on the South Island.

May your brick prove steadfast and true and return you to your point of origin, like a Koru.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good wishes, we will be tenting mostly, the only way to go I recon, I can't wait to wake up for a pee under a moonless Southern sky, the stars are fantastic. I'm going with my best friend Ross aka Galactica (no Guzzi content there, he's a 70s Kawasaki nut), he will be riding a 98 Honda V4. We will be met at Auckland by my bro KiwiKev 96 1000i , I'll try to keep you updated from time to time.

Rob, I sent you a PM

I have been looking forward to this trip for over a year, it's finally less than a week away.

The Fanau is particularly thin on the ground down the South Island.

Thanks

Roy

I'll look out for you as you pass through Christchurch. I sent you a PM, and an email, so hopefully one will get to you.

Watch out for tourists who are used to driving on the right forgetting to keep left in NZ. It is easy to forget, especially after a stop on a deserted country road. I know that I got onto the left when visiting Eastern Washington, USA. Luckily the guy I met gave me a friendly wave (at least that's what I think it was :whistle: ).

There are lots of roads in the South Island where there is low traffic, but the odd tourist camper van driven by someone who more comfortable in a city could ruin your day.

Or a wandering sheep.

Now this is important: NZ is in a turmoil over whether we should change the flag. You will need to have an opinion on this before you get to a NZ pub. :grin:

NZ is in a turmoil over whether we should change the flag. You will need to have an opinion on this before you get to a NZ pub. :grin:

Now, this has great potential as a "Silly Banter" topic of its own . . .

posters with no proper credentials whatsoever could come up with some suggestive suggestions . . .

"Sheep," you say . . . . B)

• Like 1

So Marty, what's the correct answer eh?

At first I was dead against it but our flag does look too much like the Aussie one.

it's bad enough the rest of the world thinks we are just a few km away.

Roy, Canada did the right thing with their flag. The current one is great, unlike their first effort. I think NZ should change to the new proposed flag. If nothing else, the fuss should get people out to vote at the next election.

• 5 months later...

I probably should fill you in.

My riding buddy crashed in a spectacular way spending about 6 weeks in hospital. This put a bit of a damper on the trip but I still got quite a bit of riding in restricted to the North Island. BTW, his stay in hospital and superb care was all at the expense of the NZ taxpayer or at least part of the bike insurance, BCAA travel insurance was worthless.

The roads were every bit as good as I remembered

The meat pies you can buy at any garage and corner dairy tasted better than I remembered

Hope to make it back again one day.

• Like 2

I had this on my To-Do list, but seems I owe so many New Zealanders some quantity of beer that I would never be able to leave the country once there. :sun:

(Thanks for the update, Roy. Hope your buddy is all mended.)

• Like 1