Removing baffles from Mistral megaphones

Zoup2nuts

I recently saw a youtube video that showed a Moto Guzzi with Mistral exhaust and they said "with baffles removed".  I looked at mine and didn't see any screws anywhere where one could remove it and then take out the baffle.  Does anyone here know if they can be removed?  Thanks, Bob..

p.s. I tried uploading a photo, but it said it was too big, but it was only 126kb and the limit is 200kb.  Can anyone straighten me

out on what I'm doing wrong?

They are probably referring to the restrictors, sometimes called db killers, that are sometimes fitted to straight through mufflers to make them noise compliant.

The mufflers do not always come fitted with them, depending on the manufacturer, the market they are sold in, and sometimes the way they are sold (some are sold as "Off Road Use Only").

They are probably referring to the restrictors, sometimes called db killers, that are sometimes fitted to straight through mufflers to make them noise compliant.

The mufflers do not always come fitted with them, depending on the manufacturer, the market they are sold in, and sometimes the way they are sold (some are sold as "Off Road Use Only").

I have come to think that  "dB killers" are a strategy to not have to label canisters "for off road use only."

Or, like my cf Guzzi Mistrals:

FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY

I have Mistrals I ordered from Germany that came without baffles. I ordered some at the same time. I do know that some Mistrals come with them permanently in place. 

The Mistrals without the "DB killers" installed were WAY too loud. Not "cool" loud. Just loud. Especially under trailing throttle

I installed the DB killers by making a couple of small holes and bolting them in place. I can always remove them later but I doubt I will.

The sound with them is much better: throaty, but civilized.

I recently saw a youtube video that showed a Moto Guzzi with Mistral exhaust and they said "with baffles removed".  I looked at mine and didn't see any screws anywhere where one could remove it and then take out the baffle.  Does anyone here know if they can be removed?  Thanks, Bob..

p.s. I tried uploading a photo, but it said it was too big, but it was only 126kb and the limit is 200kb.  Can anyone straighten me

out on what I'm doing wrong?

Zoup, I've done a bafflectomy on Triumph Thruxton mufflers. Stock cans look like these. There are no bolts and no separation point. I cut them out and modified the internals. - Not easy, but they sound great. I also did the same with stock Sportster mufflers. The process (on the sporty) is often referred to as "Gronk Sportster muffler" and can be googled. Cut and remove innards - modify - replace. A good stainless steel tig welder can make it look beautiful. Some work, but again, sounds great. And cheap.

Re photos... I have had pretty good luck copy-paste photos into the reply box. The one below, if it shows up haha, I copied from a random site and came back here and pasted. seems to work..

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 month later...