90 degree valve stems

Jazzamoto

I'm replacing the tires on my 2004 Cafe Sport and while I'm at it I want to change the valve stems to the 90 degree variety. The problem I'm having is that I can find plenty of angled valve stems to fit the 8.3 mm hole but none that are long enough to pass through the wheel leaving enough thread exposed inside the wheel to get a secure grip on the nut. All the valves I've seen, MotoD, Ariete, K-L and even the factory Ducati valves are about 10mm deep which only leaves about 2 or 3 threads exposed inside the wheel. The Guzzi wheels are made by Brembo but are unlike current Brembo wheels in that they are cast with a very thick section in the middle of the wheel. So if you see a listing for a valve that will fit Brembo wheels it won't fit the Guzzi wheel. Has anyone encountered this and if so what was your solution? I'm tired of wrestling with the air hose and those damned straight valves.

Thanks!

John

Scud, Do you recall how much of the threaded base potruded to the inside of the wheel? Obviuosly enough to get a nut on securely.

Scud, Do you recall how much of the threaded base potruded to the inside of the wheel? Obviuosly enough to get a nut on securely.

There wasn't a lot of thread, but they worked.  They've stayed on for two sets of tires and they hold pressure.  SUPER convenient too.  

Just yesterday I went to put air in my tires and the valve stem was behind the front brake caliper - and I was still able to check pressure and add air without rotating the tire.  Aim them to the right of the bike, so they point up a little when the bike is on the sidestand.

There wasn't a lot of thread, but they worked.  They've stayed on for two sets of tires and they hold pressure.  SUPER convenient too.  

Just yesterday I went to put air in my tires and the valve stem was behind the front brake caliper - and I was still able to check pressure and air without rotating the tire.  Aim them to the right of the bike, so they point up a little when the bike is on the sidestand.

Thanks Scud, that's reassuring. I think I'll do a trial fit and torque them to spec (something like 7.2 ft lbs) and see what they look like. Maybe even some blue Loctite so I can sleep better.

You could carry a 90 degree adapter, and use it for checking tire pressure. It could be handy until you get the valve stems you want. I got a pair at a RV and Camper supplies store in Idaho.attachicon.gif90 degree valve extn.jpg

Marty, I've got a set of those but stopped using them because I found that as I'm unscrewing them from the tire valve it loses air?? Weird. Thanks though.

Whenever I get new tires I will install the valve stems that Scud recommends.

In the meantime, when topping off my tires, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Rite-Anti-Air-Loss-Connector/dp/B000FIAVKG

I don't have a problem with checking pressure.....my gauge is angled. It can be a little tricky, and sometimes I need to rotate the tire.

Whenever I get new tires I will install the valve stems that Scud recommends.

In the meantime, when topping off my tires, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Rite-Anti-Air-Loss-Connector/dp/B000FIAVKG

I don't have a problem with checking pressure.....my gauge is angled. It can be a little tricky, and sometimes I need to rotate the tire.

I think Amazon product URL are going to supplant the UPC barcode...

Scud, many thanks! That turned out to be the perfect solution. I'd been trying to fit some Moto-D valves which are cool looking but are shaped differently and I wasn't comfortable with how little grip I was getting with the locking nut. Turns out my local bike shop, California Sport Touring, had a set of the Bridgeport/Ariete valves like yours in stock. They had ordered them by mistake for another job and were happy to get rid of them! I put the front one on, 7.2 ft/lbs torque with a touch of blue Loctite, and as you said there's enough thread contact to work. BTW, if anyone reading this is thinking of the same mod note that the Amazon link shows the 11.3mm version of the valve. You want the 8.3mm version.

Thanks again Scud!

thanks for that detail Jazza. I will be getting a set. I have purchased several items from Cal Sport Touring. Very happy.

Footgoose, FYI California Sport Touring doesn't normally stock them, just a happy accident. Probably easier if you get them on line. Having said that, Kim and his crew are good guys and have saved my bacon more than once.