Not winking

czakky

I installed an integrated LED tail light this weekend. I have no front signals hooked up for the time being.

I can't get this thing to flash when signaling. I replaced the stock flash relay with an electric two prong, supposedly for LEDs..... The relay should be normally open? Because it is. Any insight?

Which tail light did you get? LED's can be tricky as the stock flasher wants to see a load. I've had good luck getting the mechanical version from AutoZone on past LED projects. I forgot if you need the 2 or 3 prong version (I think it's the 2 prong). http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/hazard-warning-flasher/novita-turn-signal-flasher/6413_0_0/

Ken

@Scud, haven't tried that yet. Seeing as how I've got an electric flasher/relay I don't see it making a difference. Could be wrong though. I'll try it this week.

@Ken, I did get an electric flasher to no avail. I got an inexpensive Chinese taillight. Would've liked to get something better but there wasn't much for the style I wanted.

My experience is that in order to flash properly you need both sets of signals. Even electronic flashers seem to act that way. I assume it is so that you will notice when you have a signal out.

First of all make sure you have a circuit to the lamps, you can do this with a hot wire or remove the flasher and jumper from the input terminal to output terminal (if it's a 3 wire don't jumper to chassis) The lights should come on steady L & R as you work the switch.
Now check out the flasher, I think the electronic ones have a third grounded terminal, after that I'm out of my depth.

I'm gonna try adding the fronts, I could've sworn I had just the back (incandescent) signals hooked up before and it worked.

Definitely only a two prong electric relay though....