Seat won't latch

RHIP

I have a problem getting the seat on my Rosso to lock. I can get it to click into place, but in moments it pops up again. Is here some way to adjust he cam on the lock to make sure it is seating against the pin on the bottom of the seat? Even when closed, the cam has a pretty large gap. Thanks!

Of course visually inspect to make sure the latch didn't get bent, but I seem to recall on my LeMans I "swapped" two springs on the bike.  One on this latch, and I don't remember where the other was..  And a spring from a ball-point pen was involved too.   This was years ago, but it was to solve a similar issue with the seat.  I'm hoping to jog someone's memory on this..

Of course visually inspect to make sure the latch didn't get bent, but I seem to recall on my LeMans I "swapped" two springs on the bike.  One on this latch, and I don't remember where the other was..  And a spring from a ball-point pen was involved too.   This was years ago, but it was to solve a similar issue with the seat.  I'm hoping to jog someone's memory on this..

The recommended spring swap is between the seat latch and the fast idle lever.  I did it too.

Swapping the fast idle spring and the seat latch spring often makes both of those easier to operate, but I think Stew is onto it: the early seats tend to sit on the battery (or too much in the tool tray). Inspect the bottom of the seat pan for signs of contact. I've used a hand grinder ("Dremel") to relieve the pan, but also lowered the battery basket forward fastening to under the rear sub-frame to ensure no pressure on the battery case.

I think the latch mount has slotted holes so it can be raised in height, maybe you just need to line it up closer?

I did not realize you could do that. I used thin washers to shim mine up just a hair.

Mine doesn't appear adjustable or slotted. :huh2:

I looked for any pictures of how I dropped my battery basket, but no joy. Basically, you take the front mounting tabs and place them below the subframe instead of on top.

The trouble with this method is if the fasteners fail or come loose the basket drops onto the shock. Use good fasteners, "Nylock" nuts, LocTite or the like.

One of those anecdotal modifications that are for reference purposes only. :whistle:

RHIP, do you still have the battery hold down strap? If the seat is bearing down on the battery, you can generally see crush/cut signs on the strap.

I looked for any pictures of how I dropped my battery basket, but no joy. Basically, you take the front mounting tabs and place them below the subframe instead of on top.

The trouble with this method is if the fasteners fail or come loose the basket drops onto the shock. Use good fasteners, "Nylock" nuts, LocTite or the like.

One of those anecdotal modifications that are for reference purposes only. :whistle:

Perhaps you could drill through the bolts and fasten a cotter pin for additional safety.

• Like 1

OK, I might be remembering my Bassa latch.. sorry..

Later tail sections were of different material and had a revised 'monkey-fist-hole.' Perhaps the later tail sections have an adjustable seat latch?

Got nervous about the upward facing bolts and went to put LocTite on the nuts, but saw that the bolts thread up into the subframe and the flanged nuts do locking duty. They're not falling out. But I LocTited them anyway. :luigi:

IMG_0455.jpg

Any luck with your seat latch, RHIP?