Fantasy time

Craig

Wait . . . the early V11 motor can be made an oil squirter by changing the rods?

I didn't know how that was done.

Put your readers on, and look carefully for the small squirter hole up a bit on the rod.  It uses the oil going to the big end of the rod.

• Like 1

Wait . . . the early V11 motor can be made an oil squirter by changing the rods?

I didn't know how that was done.

Put your readers on, and look carefully for the small squirter hole up a bit on the rod.  It uses the oil going to the big end of the rod.

True dat, Should probably use them on the Daytona engine instead of the non squirter Carrillo's, it needs them more I think.

Ciao

I decided not to spring for the Carillos for one simple reason, I can't find a shop I trust to be able to balance the crank that far off.  When I was talking with Mike Rich he said his crank balancing shop charges him over $200 because of the amount of metal they have to remove to balance them.  While the cost doesn't necessarily scare me, the lack of anyone in this region able to balance the crank does.  All is not lost.  if I can find someone who actually inspires confidence I may change course and go for the Carillos.

The last guy I talked to spent ten minutes complaining about the metric system and proceeded to convert mm to inches incorrectly right in front of me.  I won't be going back there.

Between lightened rods and the RAM clutch I hope it will still idle...

I decided not to spring for the Carillos for one simple reason, I can't find a shop I trust to be able to balance the crank that far off.  When I was talking with Mike Rich he said his crank balancing shop charges him over $200 because of the amount of metal they have to remove to balance them.  While the cost doesn't necessarily scare me, the lack of anyone in this region able to balance the crank does.  All is not lost.  if I can find someone who actually inspires confidence I may change course and go for the Carillos.

The last guy I talked to spent ten minutes complaining about the metric system and proceeded to convert mm to inches incorrectly right in front of me.  I won't be going back there.

Between lightened rods and the RAM clutch I hope it will still idle...

I hear ya, finding people that can do things like this right is always a problem. I can give you someone that will do it right but it means shipping here to Australia.

You wont have any issues with it idling or general rideability, the RAM clutch will be a big improvement.

Ciao

I keep thinking I should go whole hog on this build, but then I would still have a tractor motor.  I just don't want to trip my fun/$$$ ratio.  Still, I can't let this crisis go to waste!

BTW, have you specified the FCP rods?

I keep thinking I should go whole hog on this build, but then I would still have a tractor motor.  I just don't want to trip my fun/$$$ ratio.  Still, I can't let this crisis go to waste!

I would just do the balance the valves and guides and careful re assembly myself, maybe a cam. You know, squish, CC the heads, clean up the ports etc.

Sorry, Specified?

Ciao

I would just do the balance the valves and guides and careful re assembly myself, maybe a cam. You know, squish, CC the heads, clean up the ports etc.

Sorry, Specified?

Ciao

Sent them the dimensions of the rods you want made.  They don't appear to have Guzzi in there database, and certainly don;t keep them on the shelf.

Sorry, Specified?

Ciao

Sent them the dimensions of the rods you want made.  They don't appear to have Guzzi in there database, and certainly don;t keep them on the shelf.

Oh,ok right you are, no listing on their site. I bought them on ebay a few years back from a shop in Germany that had a batch made.

Ciao

Struck gold today.  I found a shop here in Tucson that can handle balancing my crank.  I bit the bullet and ordered the Carillo's from Mike Rich.  So Labor Day was just a fun puttering day in the garage and I will have a set of polished rods to decorate with.

Struck gold today.  I found a shop here in Tucson that can handle balancing my crank.  I bit the bullet and ordered the Carillo's from Mike Rich.  So Labor Day was just a fun puttering day in the garage and I will have a set of polished rods to decorate with.

Ah very good, Carrillo's are very nice rods, I've used them in Ducatis in the past. I've also seen them used in race engines way beyond their recommended limits and hang together. Pull them out straighten out the twist they have picked up and re use. Very tough rods. Did you ask for ones with oil squirters under the pistons? If not would probably be worth it.

Something else that the balancer might not know or miss, Guzziology recommends the later post 93 52% balance factor instead of the 50% that Guzzi used in pre 93 engines, says its smoother. 50% is the normal 90 deg V twin balance factor ( Ducatis) however the Guzzi is transverse and this can mean a slightly different factor is required.

Also make sure the balancer calculates the weight of the oil in the pin in his calculations. Just something to check if he's not used to doing twin cylinder motorcycle engines.

Ciao

I spent the morning yesterday chasing all the threads on the case, upper sump and lower sump.  Boring, but I always do this on a rebuild.  Amazing how dirty threads get even if they have always had fasteners in them.  It also forces you to look closely at all the nooks and crannies of an engine more closely than you might otherwise.  I have to say that the Guzzi casting are very nice, especially compared to Big 3 block castings.  Very little flash.

I also packed up the pistons and rod bearings and sent them to Swain Tech for coatings.  When the heads get back from Mike Rich they will get a similar treatment.

Then I spent the afternoon with the shifter implementing most of Phil's suggestions.  I will write in more detail about that in the shifter improvement thread.

I change out the transmission input spline for the one that came with the RAM clutch.

• 1 month later...

I spent the morning yesterday chasing all the threads on the case, upper sump and lower sump.  Boring, but I always do this on a rebuild.  Amazing how dirty threads get even if they have always had fasteners in them.  It also forces you to look closely at all the nooks and crannies of an engine more closely than you might otherwise.

How's the project going? What do you use to chase the threads? I've got an engine out right now and many holes have loc-tite residue in them.

Also - are you using an engine stand? If so what kind?