2016 Moto Guzzi Rally of NZ

nudemetalz

About 70 people showed up for the 24th Tattley Rappet 2017 Moto Guzzi rally.
There was a few V11s, some newer Guzzis, and a lot of older Guzzis.
I set off for the first meeting on Friday evening, stalled on the way, and no restart! :glare:  Relay failure! :angry2:   Just as well I had five spares stashed in the monkey paw trap. (Thanks Docc). :notworthy:
We went over the hill to Akaroa on a Poker Run on Saturday, and we went to Kaikoura on Sunday. I got passed several times on the twisties by guys on round barrel Le Mans bikes. Even a scruffy Convert with a 1000 LeMans engine was no slouch. Those things are awesome, or is it the riders?
Some of us went north past Kaikoura, on as far as the road is still open. It was closed by slips after a quake a year ago, but should be open again by the end of the year.
On the way home I stopped at Parnassus to get fuel. It was an unattended fuel stop, but it took ages to get fuel. 15 minutes talking to a local guy, then fuelled up, then there was another quake, or was it an aftershock? (5.8 is enough to get your attention). There was a cop with a radar just down the road, and he drove up to me and he said "didja feel that? I'm not staying parked under those power lines with that kind of carry on". He was a motorbike cop in Christchurch in his early years, but he was polite enough not to say anything about my bike. So that took another 15 minutes swapping stories with him before I got going again. 
Good weather, great people, excellent weekend.

Apparently the next Tattley Rappet will be in Palmerston North in 2018.
Pictures of bikes here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxnfKnNo4vVwWmZkNkNaam5Pdmc?usp=sharing Look out for the little Stornello there. The owner just finished restoring it, and rode furtherest to get to the rally.

If the pictures don't open for you, please PM me and I'll try posting another way.

• Like 4

. I got passed several times on the twisties by guys on round barrel Le Mans bikes. Even a scruffy Convert with a 1000 LeMans engine was no slouch. Those things are awesome, or is it the riders?

:grin: I believe it ! My old bike corners better than my V11Sport but I attribute a lot of that to the Marzocchi fork that I haven't gotten into yet . My old round head is pretty well dialed .

thanks Marty. Some really interesting bits on the red Magni bike. Someone should tell him about the Li battery. Was anyone tempted to call it Rattley Tappet?

Yeah, there were two Magnis there. One built on a Daytona engine with lots of goodies added, the other built with an 1100i engine/gearbox, but both had that clever parallelogram swingarm.

That yellow moto batt battery on the 1100i Magni did stand out alright, and I thought it distracted from the good looks of the rest of the bike, but I'm sure he knows that.

As for the rally name, I think it was originally called Rattley Tappet, but I don't know what why the change. Perhaps the Griso riders felt excluded?

Scura “R”, super cool!

I didn't notice a Scura, but could be wrong.

DD had his Nero Corsa there, doing dangerous things.

He set off first from Hilltop towards Akaroa, so I thought "I'll follow him".  :bike:

But at the first downhill, off camber, blind corner, where he passed two cars, I thought "No I won't".  :o 

That guy made it look so easy.

Scura “R”, super cool!

Never mind, I saw the red seat with Öhlins and got excited...

Yes, it looks a bit like a Scura R, but has Marzocchi forks. That red seat is kangaroo hide. The owner is an upholsterer, and he made an excellent job of covering the seat. It looks great. 

Scura “R”, super cool!

Yes, it looks a bit like a Scura R, but has Marzhocchi forks. That red seat is kangaroo hide. The owner is an upholsterer, and he made an excellent job of covering the seat. It looks great. 

Which bike is that? Can you copy/paste an image?

Scura “R”, super cool!

Yes, it looks a bit like a Scura R, but has Marzocchi forks. That red seat is kangaroo hide. The owner is an upholsterer, and he made an excellent job of covering the seat. It looks great. 

Which bike is that? Can you copy/paste an image?

Sorry Docc, I couldn't find a way to paste the pics, but links are below instead. Maybe Jaap's new security settings changed pasting?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxnfKnNo4vVwMjFsYlJmS0FHVjg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxnfKnNo4vVwR2V3cWlSemQ2b1E/view?usp=sharing