Multiple oils leaks thread with a twist

Midle Age Warrior

Leaks?  Those arent leaks.  Obviously you have never owned a British bike.....or Harley!!!!! :P:   

Or an antique airplane.  :) A little oil is like a little blood. Looks like crap, but isn't much of a *problem.* I think you got a little carried away before really troubleshooting where it is coming from. You mentioned the baby powder (or spray athlete's foot powder trick. Seriously.. you should have done that before getting this far. It will be harder to find out where it is coming from, now. At least do the sniff test so we know whether it is engine or transmission oil.

Report back.

Hey Chuck when I was working on Pratt R2000's we lived by the addage you only need to worry when it's not leaking oil, that means its run out :)

Ciao 

You've got it this far apart, and if there appears to be no leakage from the breather tube into the bell housing from the external hose and fitting you may as well pull the gearbox off and take a look at the breather fitting and engine rear seal and gearbox input shaft seal. 

Ciao   

Leaks?  Those arent leaks.  Obviously you have never owned a British bike.....or Harley!!!!! :P:   

Or an antique airplane.  :) A little oil is like a little blood. Looks like crap, but isn't much of a *problem.* I think you got a little carried away before really troubleshooting where it is coming from. You mentioned the baby powder (or spray athlete's foot powder trick. Seriously.. you should have done that before getting this far. It will be harder to find out where it is coming from, now. At least do the sniff test so we know whether it is engine or transmission oil.

Report back.

Hey Chuck when I was working on Pratt R2000's we lived by the addage you only need to worry when it's not leaking oil, that means its run out :)

Ciao 

The engine (90 hp Lambert 5 cylinder radial) for the Monocoupe I'm restoring was overhauled, test run, oil drained, and pickled in the late 90s. There's no oil in it, but it's still marking it's spot underneath it. :grin:

If you have not yet cleaned the engine, you could run a cotton swab between the metal tube and the case - go all around the outside of the tube inside the case. If it comes back oily, you know the hose was problem. If it comes back dry - that might be inconclusive if it's been sitting for a while.

Scud my californian brother from another mother...  :grin:

I am not sure if I understood how the breathers work but I took the cotton swap and rubbed the inside of the tube that comes from the bell housing and got this

isopo 2017-02-12 at 8.08.55 PM.jpeg

I found the out side of the tube is dry and clean after took the hose out

Crank case tube 2017-02-12 at 8.08.55 PM.jpeg

What do you think

You've got it this far apart, and if there appears to be no leakage from the breather tube into the bell housing from the external hose and fitting you may as well pull the gearbox off and take a look at the breather fitting and engine rear seal and gearbox input shaft seal. 

Ciao   

Lucky Phil, at this point I could do that and see what is inside the belly of the monster and fix whatever is need it, but do I need special tools to do that?

I read in the archives about to take care of the rear swing arm off set before disassembly. Any input about it?

Thanks in advance

It does look like a puzzle. Since you're so far in, you could remove the engine and transmission and give everything a good inspection. That looks like a lot of old oil behind the right cylinder. If it's leaking out of the base gaskets, you might need to re-torque the cylinder heads.

It's least likely to be something major like a rear main seal.  And more likely to be something simple that you will discover as you go through it.

On the swingarm alignment... we were just discussing that on another thread. I have offered a contrarian opinion. All the same, you may as well measure it before you take it out. You're so far in that you should at least inspect the swingarm bearings - and replace if needed. And pop the driveshaft off and give it thorough clean and lube.

You'll just have to ride the BMW for a while...

Hey BMWs aren't supposed to go that fast!

Czakky I have pushed my bikes to their limit (that means me) and all of them have the same top speed, I do not feel comfortable at all at this range of speed but the adrenaline and testosterone cocktail sometimes push you close to the edge.

But I guess the V11 is the fastest one

GPS 2017-02-12 at 9.29.36 PM.jpeg

So, yes, the breather hose can leak down through the "bell housing" without much spill on the outside.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18243&hl=bell%20housing%20oil%20weep%20hole&page=1

There are several likely sources beyond the rear engine main seal. Here is Pete Roper's (colorful) take on the matter:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3751&p=35372

Look, also, at the vestigial distributor blanking plate that uses an O-ring to seal.

Looks good there!

If the breather hose doesn't take care of it, then on to the back of the motor and those leak sources.

Too many have changed the rear main seal and neglected the other sources that Mr. Roper has detailed for us.

post-9985-0-48738400-1486946633_thumb.jp

Hey, the arrows are pointing the other way, mate! :ninja: Eh, typical BMW driver.. :whistle: 

Pete, (of course) is right on the money.. and you've probably done a lot of work for nothing.  But.. now you are in the "While you are there" scenario. If I had it down that far, I'd do the things Scud and Phil said to look at. You're there...

post-9985-0-48738400-1486946633_thumb.jp

But.. now you are in the "While you are there" scenario. If I had it down that far, I'd do the things Scud and Phil said to look at. You're there...

Chuck thanks for your comments I do not have regrets about how far I went pulling the bike apart (did I said I enjoy the process), and since I already here why not took out the engine/gearbox  unit by the manual and take advantage to perform some maintenance and repairs that could lead to a lot of trouble free miles ahead, if not at least i will get a more deeper knowledge of the bike I ride, anyway I have some more modest options to ride in the meanwhile :grin:.

My only concern is I have problems finding the spares or how to get them due to the actual situation in Venezuela the bike could be out of service for some precious time