Driveshaft troubles

stewgnu

Hey up Guzzisti, I've a problem I need help with (and poss a cautionary tale):

I had the rear rod end fail on the torque arm, it split across the weak point thru the lube nipple and opened up like a finger. I'll post a pic at some point.

Thankfully it was just as i was pulling away, and not doing 60mph, or I could've been in serious trouble...

So now to the problem: the shaft must've jacked about as it is now jammed at the sliding splines. I'm guessing that the rubber seal has dislodged from it's groove (man) and maybe jammed up into the splines?? Whatever's happened I cannot separate the shaft at the sliding joint. Swingarm's off so now I have a swingarm with a shaft stuck thru it. Hashtag sadface.

Would love any suggestions!

And I will never again use those rose joints with lube points- just the full metal versions. I can only recommend others do the same....

If you can remove the entire driveshaft from the bike and try to slide in or out to get it to it's original position . I don't know if it is compressed or extended too much .

If you have some ratchet straps, you can hook one to each end of the swingarm. Then secure to two fixed objects and use one ratchet strap to pull the halves apart.

Or you could take the whole assembly over to a machine shop and see what they recommend.

By the way, if you find the O-ring, please post the specs. My spare driveshaft has a broken O-ring and I'd like to replace it.

Well the uj's are wider than the swingarm hole which is why they are married until i can separate the shaft.

I'm plann9ng to give the ratchet strap another go today (tried once but no joy).

Marty- i don't think there is a spline lube point? There's one on each uj but are you sure there's one on the shaft? I can't remember.

There are three grease nipples. One on each U-joint and one on the shaft. If you overfill the one on the shaft, grease will exit at the rear - so it will not force the halves apart.

Can you place a straight-edge on the driveshaft? I wonder if it bent due to the force. If so, it's probably not worth saving and you could cut it off.

As I mentioned, I have a spare if you need it and can't find one locally - but it needs an O-ring.

Sorted! All it took was two tonnes of peugeot.

Everything seems fine, amazingly, all parts moving/rotating smoothly.

I removed the shaft nipple to have a peek and now i understand...

The o-ring doesn't look too bad so i'll re-use it and check on it a ways on. (Will measure it up for you scud).

New swinging arm bearings and it's re-build time!

I'm somewhat relieved as a new shaft is 450 quid.

Oh well, up and downs: looks like the female part of the shaft is twisted. Bugger.

In other news, the o-ring looks to be 1.8mm thick, the groove comes in at 26.9mm or thereabouts so 27mm id for the ring?

How much would you like for your spare shaft scud?