Sump Breather Hose Delete?

sp838

Sorry to add a little fuel to your fire. But.....

If you really do want to add a one way PCV valve to your V11 I think the best place to put it is not directly on the vent line from the crank cases but on the vent from the frame where it vents to atmosphere. That way you do not have a balance issue between the air going out to the frame and the oil going back in to the sump. If you fit a one way valve where the frame vents that should allow you to develop negative pressure in the crank case without affecting the relationship between venting to the frame and oil returning to the sump.

I don't think it is actually worth it on a lump like the V11, but I do think it is an interesting idea.

A vent like what Ducati uses on their racebikes for the frame vent right behind the steering stem (at the front of the gas tank on the top of the frame) would be what I would want to do. We ran those vent valves on both our Ducati race bikes. The logic is sound. The trick is to get it to work without affecting the oil return.

Keep in mind, I am not doing this myself. Be careful if you do any of this. I would definitely use a clear hose for the return line to make sure it is not sucking oil out of the sump. That would be my one fear of any of this.

• Like 1

I agree it is nice to tidy things up. They used to say if you could remove a part and the bike still worked and was legal you did'nt need it.

My pet hate is bikes that have nice covers to hide some ugly component under it. Why not design it pretty in the first place? Most Japanese bikes suffer from this, look at a stripped down Yamaha, loads of thin welded on brackets and gussets that collect crap, not the easiest bike to make 'sanitary'. I know they use a lot of generic parts but they could still be attractive.