Exhaust question

nobleswood

I have a Tap Tap noise from my Griso once the engine has warmed up. In trying to eliminate the simple solutions first, I was reminded by Mr Hagan to check the exhaust headers. I did manage to tighten the nuts up some but rather than just crank on them until the rusty heads come off. Does anyone have a 'trick' that helps ? Talcum powder ? Dish soap ?

I would try to precisely locate the source of the tap first by using a length of flexible hose, one end at my ear and the other end placed at suspected locations. Think 'stethoscope'. I use a 3/4" auto water hose about 18" long.

Nobleswood, I moved the topic here from "How to . . . " before seeing it is about the Griso. We will likely do better to have it in "New Models."

Recent posts about an '09 Stelvio "Quatro Valvole" (per cylinder) led another member to a "roller kit" upgrade.

2013 Griso should already be addressed? So, it can't be the tappets?

"Tap-Tap" tappets? :huh:

Docc,

Thanks for putting the question in the correct area.

Let's not move straight to 'PANIC' about the TapTap noise. I just wanted to tighten the exhaust stud nuts.

Currently I am under Dr. Ropers guidance on another site, but wanted to not look foolish by shouting 'the sky is falling !' When it might be loose headers.

Bill Hagan is also advising me with his list of 'Mistakes I have made.' Snapping rusty exhaust bolts / nuts off is not a digression I need.

The bike does have roller tappets by the way.

• Like 1

I have a Tap Tap noise from my Griso once the engine has warmed up. In trying to eliminate the simple solutions first, I was reminded by Mr Hagan to check the exhaust headers. I did manage to tighten the nuts up some but rather than just crank on them until the rusty heads come off. Does anyone have a 'trick' that helps ? Talcum powder ? Dish soap ?

anti seize..

13065133_primary_225px.jpg

What year Griso? Is it a 2 valve or 8 valve motor?

If it is an exhaust leak and there is something wrong with the exhaust gasket no amount of torque will resolve the issue.

It is a 2013 1200 8 valve, with 13500 miles on it. The noise just started after the bikes winter slumber.

Following Pete Ropers advise of it being a stuck plunger / hydraulic tappet like thing, that tensions the cam chain guides, I am cleaning, getting that to work properly. But wanted to be sure I cover all the wickets, as we say.

Does it have roller tappets yet? If it is still a flat tappet motor there are all kinds of predictions of impending failure, especially from said Mr Roper.

I don't think that motor uses hydraulic tappets, but I think you are referring to the cam chain tensioner. Hopefully it is something that easy.