Oil Pressure dash light not lighting up...

sp838

When I turn on the ignition, the other dash lights come on (charging system, neutral, etc) but not the oil light. There is power going to the light, I tested the red and black striped wire and the bulb, both are working. The bike has been sitting all winter, haven't fired her up yet, could it just be a case of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome)?

Anything I can do to test it? I'll be firing her up very soon, just have a couple more little things I want to finish up first. Any suggestion in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try the connection to your oil pressure sensor.. When that one fails (or you disconnect the wire), the light will not come on.

Try the connection to your oil pressure sensor.. When that one fails (or you disconnect the wire), the light will not come on.

Where is it located? We haven't been introduced yet.

• Like 1

Gracias. Hopefully it's something dumb like disconnected or clipped wire.

So just want to confirm that the switch is normally-closed type, ie, it should be passing current through (and lighting up the bulb) when there is no oil pressure.

So power is coming through to the switch. Switch is either dead or, somehow stuck in the open position. Is that possible? Don't have time right now to fiddle with it, but will try cleaning it out, warming it up, and tapping it with a good luck guzzi hammer to see if it can be revived. Only costs $20 to replace, will probably do that anyway, but it irks me!

First , verify you have oil pressure with the engine running .Connect an ohmmeter to the switch after disconnecting the wire to the unit. If there is a change in continuity from KOEO to KOER your switch is good. If so proceed to the next step. With the key on is the light on ? Disconnect the wire at the oil pressure switch . If there is a change , touch the wire to a good known ground.  If there is a change with this action you can decide if the switch is bad or not or if the light is inoperative .

Yep, already determined that it's the switch, as power is making its way to the female bullet connector. When I touch it to the engine the dash light comes on. I have a new one on order, and I plan on hitting the old one with a hammer, heating it up with a torch and squirting it with contact cleaner and compressed air to see if that will revive it.

The switches are useless.

If you want to confirm you have oil pressure crack the oil fitting on one head you will find it bleeds like a stuck pig with 60 psi behind it.

I have a 0-100 psi gauge on each of my Guzzis, they always work.

I replaced mine with the same one that is on my 78 BMW r100.  I cut off the bullet connector and replaced it with a spade one that matched the BMW switch.  I put in an LED lamp in the dash as well.  The only down side is that when it rains the oil LED goes on dimly.

Got a new switch off fleabay, $12 delivered. Bench tested it, it's lighting up. Says it's made in Italy, not sure if that a good or bad thing. There's someone on fleabay selling them for $70!!! I sent them a message telling them it was outrageous and they threatened to report me for harassment. What a world we live in.

I have a 2015 Stelvio, my second, and have had Guzzis since 2002, and I now have a problem with the oil light that has never occurred before. The oil warning signal goes on at low idle as does the red triangle warning light, in traffic and such, and goes off when I throttle. Dealer checked and there is no leak, changed the senor and checked for bad wiring, but it still happens. They now want to look at the oil pump.

Anyone else have this issue?

It would help a great deal. Thank you

I had that problem on my LeMans. I installed an oil pressure gauge and found that the pressure was on the low-end - but that there was always pressure, and therefore there was oil flow. It took me a while to find the problem, but it turned out to be a missing section of gasket around an internal oil journal - aka, an internal, pressure robbing leak. Replacing the gasket brought the pressure right back up to expected levels.

I don't know the Stelvio's layout, but low pressure on the V11s occurs with UFI filters that have crappy O-rings - or filters that work their way loose. 

If you had the dealer do the oil change - and the problem started shortly thereafter, I would insist that they remove and inspect the filter before paying for an oil-pump inspection.

• Like 1