Rims, tyres and changing them

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

This sort of rubbed me the wrong way.....

I went down to Moto International today to see how the recall was going. Last time I checked they had one kit in and I was the 7th on the list. Now I'm number 9 for some reason and they received a second kit. They don't know when they will receive others.

I also wanted to know about tyres and rims. A couple questions like - What is the price of a new Guzzi rear wheel - 5.5 inch? $750 bucks. OK

Where do I find tyres in stock in town? Well, if you buy a tyre anywhere else, they will not put it on. Period. So, a rear tyre on-line is $105 bucks. Ordered through MI the same tyre is $180 bucks. Almost double the money. Price does not include installation. They also assured me that there is no way for me to put on a tubeless tire myself - you need a special machine in order to not damage the rim. Is this correct? Is it really impossible to replace our own tyres?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm surprised to hear this.... this doesn't sound like the Moto International I know <_>

Well to your questions:

I also wanted to know about tyres and rims. A couple questions like - What is the price of a new Guzzi rear wheel - 5.5 inch? $750 bucks. OK

I know you had asked this several times in the other thread, but I didn't respond because I thought for sure that Paul or Carl might give you a real figure. But since they haven't.... if you aren't desperate for the wider rear wheel(and honestly I don't think you need it...) ... just keep an eye out on eBay or on this Forum for someone selling a used one from a wreck or following an upgrade. Based on the Ducati Brembos I see all the time on eBay, I wouldn't expect to pay more than $250-300 for a used one. BTW, you'll have to strip or repaint any 5.5 incher you get if you want it to match your silver front rim, as all the late-model rims are the metallic gray/black.... unless you want contrasting rims that is :P

They also assured me that there is no way for me to put on a tubeless tire myself - you need a special machine in order to not damage the rim. Is this correct? Is it really impossible to replace our own tyres?

Hogwash.... you can mount tires yourself, no problem. And you can even balance them accurately with the correct jig. ...no spin computer needed.

True, you should get the right tools(Carl Allison posted a good treatise in the How To section I believe) but it only consists of a handful of "rim protectors" and tire irons/spoons.... and some practice.

But more realistically for most of us, I know many shops in my area that will happily mount any tire you bring them... That's just silly. Many people order tires from "Tire Rack" type places all the time. Just call around to other bike shops.

That's a strange policy, sorry they're giving you the run-around :wacko:

al

Guest northend

The only place I've ever heard that would only mount their own tire's was the Harley shop and they'll only put on Dunlop's. Needless to say, they never got any of my buisness. As for mounting tire's, you might want to consider making a jig that you can mount to a work bench to hold the rim while your mounting the tire. It makes thing's alot easier.

Best of luck :thumbsup: ..........Jeff H.

Guest captain nemo

Thanks Al - I thought that sounded a little fishy. They said they were wasting time with changing tires and it wasn't profitable for them. I'm not in the biz, but I think I would want to change tires because that is just another customer who might want something else attended to at the same time - usually the case I would bet. Plus it's just good pr. Now I don't feel the same way about them. Too bad. With a $180 tyre and a $30 or so fit on, you've got quite a hefty charge for the replacement of only one tyre. I will try to do this job myself and get the right tools - like many other Guzzi jobs.

I'm going to stick with a 4.5 inch rim. I did email Arnold who does handling for G & B on the West Coast. I'm trying to find out now about the price of an OZ set. Hopefully it isn't too bad and they do a 160 rear for the Guzz. I also learned that the Guzzi wheels are pretty heavy. I thought they would be sort of comparable to Ducati wheels - weight wise - wrong. I figure I could save 10 pounds off the back and 4 off the front with OZ. But I won't pay $2,000 bucks to do it. We'll see what they say.

Even if I get the thinner tire and stick with the same rim, I'm convinced now that the bike will handle better. I'm looking forward to it because it already handles nicely.

Yep, the OEM wheels are kinda beefy, and your thoughts on weight savings are about right.

I'd love to get some Dymags or OZ wheels, but I couldn't justify more than about $1200 for a set of wheels, and that would be pushing it... closer to $1000 would seem much more reasonable to me. I just can't see that they cost that much to make, at least the aluminum ones :huh2:

Ah well, I would really like some one day.... maybe we need to put together a "group buy" :P

I think people are paying quite a bit of "brand premium" in many cases :wacko:

al

Spooning tires on those soft alloy rims is a formula for lots of &%$@#* :angry:

Surely you can find a shop who'll mount and balance your tires for $30-35. You can easily take the wheels off and bring those in so they don't have to disassemble your bike ( and you don't have to wrry about their technique).

It's cake money for a guy with the machine as you'll probably be back at $60-70 a pop every year.

Guest Brian Robson

I can see Moto Internationals point.

They first of all get the tyres in stock, taking the risk that they will sell that brand, a risk in itself if you listen to bikers babbling about all the tyres they like. Their profit is probably 25-30%.

So along you come wanting the same price as a mail order place who may or may not have sent you old or current stock.

Moto International over the past months, will have given you hundreds of pieces of advice,having been bored shitless with your questions over what size of wheel, what wheel is the lightest, how black are the tyres, what is the best oil, why are wheels round.... ad infinitum

If you want the store to be there, to handle warranty claims and to listen and help you with a myriad of questions, pay the extra 75.00, and save money by buying a stand and taking in the loose wheels.

Guest captain nemo
can see Moto Internationals point.

They first of all get the tyres in stock, taking the risk that they will sell that brand, a risk in itself if you listen to bikers babbling about all the tyres they like.

Once again you are ignorant of the facts. Moto International does not stock ANY tires. They order them on the phone when needed. They take no risks.

I'd love to get some Dymags or OZ wheels, but I couldn't justify more than about $1200 for a set of wheels, and that would be pushing it... closer to $1000 would seem much more reasonable to me.  I just can't see that they cost that much to make, at least the aluminum ones  :huh2:

If you really want to put money in rims the only one to buy are PVM.

And don't take soem magnesium wheels limited time life around 3 or 4 years after just good for the dustbeen.

The wheels in aluminium forged like PVM & OZ are the best for the road.

Dymag stop the production of rear wheel for guzzi.

The OZ one don't have the cush drive they are a little cheapper than PVM & weight seems really near.

PVM = approx 1800-1900 EUR from Dynotec (actually around 2300 $)

To give an idea an oem 4.5 rear wheel for Daytona RS costs 800 EUR; i know i have broken mine in a big road hole :(

And this is not the 5.5 one !!

So regarding quality & weight difference the price seems reasonable (even if not) .

Well captain,

I sold my front wheel yesterday, so my le mans 5.5 inch wheel is for sale. Price is 400 euro + shipping. These wheels look like the ducati wheels, but the center is totaly different. That's the heavy part I think. The cush drive from guzzi is made like they make them in all big guzzi's, that is working good, but not lightweight. OZ wheels don't have the cush drive, and are bad news for your gearbox I think. If you inform what a gearbox costs.... No wonder that guzzi makes a new one for the breva:-).

My next gearbox will be from the new bmw r1200gs, with monoarm. That looks light!. BMW managed to get 20kg's of a bike. Now Guzzi..

....all excellent points Jean-Marc, and it does put it in perspective. But even at the prices quoted for the OEM wheels, it's still ~$1000 premium for the new wheels, and I don't think anyone will pay me $800 for a used rear OEM Brembo :P

Perhaps one day if I fall into a couple grand I just can't figure out how to spend :D

I really would like to have some of these wheels one day honestly, but that's a painful amount of money to cough up at one time.... it's true that I may nickle-and-dime myself into spending more on various goodies over a year, but sheesh :o ... ~$2500 is a lot o' dinero in one whack ^_^

al

so my le mans 5.5 inch wheel is for sale. Price is 400 euro + shipping.

I have one too for sale, from a Café Sport. € 399,99 + shipping :D

btw: Däs Mototec in Germany has a PVM set for sale: € 1500,- new

773.jpg

1 Set PVM Wheels 2-parts bolted with cushion, front 3,5x17 rear 5,5x17 polished rim, spokes yellow plastic coated New! € 1.500,--