Rims, tyres and changing them

Guest captain nemo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Paul told i 'm actually thinking to sold the rear OZ in order to buy a rear Gold PVM to have the cush drive, if i can find one with a similar aspect to the front OZ

Perhaps the one with 6 spokes in alminium.

Because in the front i have the perimetrical brakes and want to keep them so no PVM in the front .. :wub:

By the way if you found your bike not braking very well , just bought a Brembo radial caliper from Ducati 999. Incredible effect for a reasonable price about 200 EUR in the Ducati store this what i use on the "Zebulon". :mg:

Otherwise go still upper with the Brembo PR19 radial about 270 EUR. :thumbsup:

INCREDIBLE : Today temperature is about 17°C with a beautifull weather,i go home at lunch time in order to take miss Dayto and go for a little ride with :helmet:

last week was snow & max t° was about 0°C & minus goes to -10° :doh:

Guest captain nemo

This just in my email:

The price of the wheels is 1500 Euro dollars. With a 27% exchange rate and

shipping,duty,and customs charges, the wheels are more than 2000 US

dollars. As for the 4.5 inch rear wheel, I would have to check if it is

available.

If you are interested, send me an e-mail.

Thanks

Arnold

I'm not interested in a price like that. The dollar has been going down the toilet and it is getting more difficult to buy foreign products. At 27% that is quite a difference in exchange. I'm still going to find out if the OZ is available in a 4.5 inch wheel.

Guest captain nemo

I see this morning that some of you have a rear OZ for sale. Now I am wondering if the rotating mass of a big 5.5 inch wheel and 180 tyre defeats the purpose of lighter weight!!

Also, what is the cush drive and what does it do? I see the OZ does not have this and some are saying that is bad for the gears.

Also, what is the cush drive and what does it do?

As far as my knowledge on the subject goes it's a piece of rubber in the wheel hub that absorbs abrupt forces from the drive shaft/gearbox to the wheel and vice versa.

I also had it in my 50 cc Kreidler moped! :D

Here's a rear wheel assembly drawing from the manual:

cush_drive.gif

Guest Brian Robson

After being accused of again not having the facts by Private Nemo I contacted Moto International myself.

THEY DO STOCK TYRES....what was said by Nemo is not the truth.

They did not have the type and size required in stock, which is common to all dealers the world over.

It is unfair to the dealership to provide such a statement, and I am sure they will state the same in any communication they may choose to have with any individual privately

Well, it certainly isn't my intention to help Nemo burn his bridges, Brian, but I can't recall seeing that many tires in stock over at MI -- there are usually 4-6. But they could keep more way in the back.

The price discrepancy is a bit odd, though. In my dealings with them, they've always been fair and their prices reasonable -- especially in light of the fact that so many Guzzisti complain about getting reemed by their dealers. My gut feeling is that Nemo's condensed the conversation a bit and we aren't getting the full story.

Nemo, are you trying to get some sort of special or "rare" tire? If I remember right, your current tires are still good.

Nemo, what tire can you get for $105?? Your not putting Cheng shins on are you? :grin:

Also, be carefull of mail order. Figure in shipping, handling and all other sorts of things these places add on and you are not saving that much.

Also, if you help a dealer, they may just go that extra mile for you when you need it. :thumbsup:

Guest captain nemo

No. If you see any tires at M.I. it is because someone ordered them. If you want one, they will get on the phone and get it for you. If you want an oil filter, yea, they've got that on hand.

John - I'm talking about Dunlops from the backs of magazines. I've got an email right here from one of the companies saying I can order A SET of high speed Dunlops (208s) for $184. Same price as ONE tire at M.I. Sure there might be $20 or $30 bucks in shipping. But no tax. Hell, here in the great state of Washington we pay 10% in sales tax! So, $180 tire is $18 extra in tax - not much less than shipping charges.

I don't mind paying a little extra from a dealer - but not twice as much! Also, he should want my bike in his service stall because chances are I want something else done. If he doesn't want to make that easy for me then it's his loss.

Guest dkgross

I hate 'he said/she said' conversations. I haven't priced tires yet, but everything else I've gotten from Moto I, I've felt they treated me fairly on. Nemo..did you ask if there was a discount of the 'list' price?

I don't blame Moto I for not wanting to mount a tire that wasn't purchased through them..they're a small shop.

I reckon tires (tyres?) in the USA are overpriced compared to what we pay in New Zealand. Although not as much of a difference as it was when the US$ was stronger, I could buy two tyres here in New Zealand for one tire in the USA. Same ty(i)re was made in Germany (Metzeler).

Go figure.

I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Road 120f/170r at Dennis Kirt for $182 total for both tires. Your shipping is $5 per tire. I've been buying tires from them for years and they have always been great to deal with. Also, since they are not in CA, I do not have to pay sales tax(8.25%). These people sell more tires and have a bigger selection than any dealership.

My local dealer will not install tires not purchased from their shop but I've found several local bike shop that will for $15-$25 per rim depending if it is on or off the bike. I support my local Guzzi dealer on everything but tires. Geez, just the other day I paid $19 for an oil filter.

By the way, the tires generally will be at your door within 4-5 working days. This is my six set of tires purchased through them.

Guest Brian Robson

Again Nemo, it may be better to stop posting rather than continue digging a hole. They carry tyres, all the time, but obviously not the ones you wanted.

Try to remember what month it is, and whether you would sell a lot of tyres in February

Support your dealerships, including tyres. If you don't, quit whining when they shut shop.

The joke applies.."What is the cheapest part on a Moto Guzzi?.....the rider.