Aaaaarrrgg

Chuck

I thought I had the Mighty Scura in good shape for the Kid and I's Carolinas spine raid/mutton run at the end of May. I'd had it in SoCal for years with practically no issues, but since it's back in the midwest.. I guess it knew that I'd have the time and tools to fix on it a little bit. Last month, I put new fork seals in the Ohlins, packed the steering head bearings, went through the electrical system, installed new tires, even rubbed out the paint, and pronounced it good to go.

It's finally turned Spring, so went out for a good romp yesterday. When I was taking off my gear, I noticed this.

34115838076_aa8bebd966_c.jpg2017-04-20_08-07-55 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Thought.. :rolleyes: WTF? I've never been into a V11 drive box and fervently hoped I'd never have to.

I'm guessing there's nothing to do but get in there. Are there any special tools/tricks required? Has anybody done this that can give me a heads up on what to order before I open it up?

TIA

Well, this is a surprise.  :grin: I fully expected shockproof heavy to drain out if that was what was leaking.

33316242564_da5dae9df4_c.jpg2017-04-20_10-21-58 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Apparently, back in the Pleistocene before I realized you couldn't just drain and measure Shockproof heavy because it would stay on the gears and not fully drain... I had some puke out of the breather.

Apparently the light was *just right* last night, and this is a stain from a long time ago..

On closer inspection

33774819040_d310c544ed_c.jpg2017-04-20_11-00-53 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

It didn't start at the axle.

Whew! I'm a happy camper. Nothing to see here, folks.. move along..

She was just testing me to see if I'm worthy. :mg:  

• Like 1

Good news!

+1 on what kglm said about the needle bearings. Easy to get to and very likely needs servicing.

I'll give em a look.. Thanks.

I like the o-ring idea. I usually slather the outside face of the area with heavy grease before assembly.

Incidentally, my rear wheel has been off and on a few times these past months. Despite periodically rotating the inner race of the bearing and packing more grease into the needles, there are still signs of wear.

Damn Chuck, I was looking forward to one of your write ups on bevel box rebuild. I've got a spare one here if you want the experience:)

Ciao 

I wasn't.  :rasta: I was expecting "Beyond here be dragons.."