Revs - setting up

TomekSZ

Ok i have a question. The Idle revs. 

The mechanic sets up to 800/900 on cold engine. So it is working fine - some throttle and revs jump up to level 1100 and stays on this level. But when i'm ridding it at some time, sometimes the rpm jumps up to 1200/1300 at idle - they not go higher but they are a little higher than normal. Some time and then fall again to 1100. Question is this normal and do not worry? I replaced complet exhaust system - collector tubes, cross tube and I have a set of mufflers with silencers. After replacing the collector tubes, it was not self-adapting under the computer. This is some finction, that beasicly the workshop do every time i go there. Do you thing i need to do the self adaptation? Or simply this is normal that v11 revs some time a little at the idle...

The idle should be higher than 1000 rpm (the manual says 1050, but I prefer a bit higher). The idle is set by performing the tuning sequence. A basic procedure is posted here:

Decent Tune-up

You have replaced your throttle cable, is this binding somewhere or needs adjusting to let the throttle stay closed properly when idling?  When it idles at 1300 try moving the linkage arm under the right hand side throttle body to see if this will slow idle down.

Rob

You have replaced your throttle cable, is this binding somewhere or needs adjusting to let the throttle stay closed properly when idling?  When it idles at 1300 try moving the linkage arm under the right hand side throttle body to see if this will slow idle down.

Rob

Good point!

i have recently seen an '02 LeMans hang its throttle rod on the speedometer drive below the right throttle body.

Yes, I changed the cable to a new one - the old one was screwed up. According to my mechanic, there was a problem with its location and it had to be pushed somewhere. I will try to check it as you said and move the cord when the revs jumps - as it goes down means the cable problem.

Ok I was in the service and the mechanic screw up the air flow in the left bypass. The question is whether revs may be so different between 100/200 RPM between, a cold engine and a warm one? All in all, we are now 3 degrees Celsius outside so beasicly not the typical Italian weather now :). Maybe it's also a matter of aura ...

Right now is like this, but i asked another owner of v11 and seams to be normal. On normal working hot engine (tested drove 50 km)  i have 1100/1150 RPM at idle, when i driving for long time on the road, and suddenly stoped at the red light, RPM may fall dawn to 1000 or 900 RPM even. Few minutes, and goes back to the 1050/1100 RPM. 

This, i think is normal because of the breath of the engine...

On an EFI bike the idle shouldn't change much aside from the cold vs. warm.

This is not true for the V11 injection system. There is no idle stepper motor that keeps idle stable. 

So it is normal that the idle varies from cold to hot. 

• Like 1