Starting issues

Agonza5

Can you describe the problem in more detail?

You might check your relays (or replace them with higher quality relays) and check/clean all the connections, especially the ground wire at the back of the transmission.

When I hit the starter switch I get absolutely nothing, after several attempts sometimes it will engage or when I roll the bike around

Hold the clutch lever in, hold the starter button in, and turn the bars lock-to-lock.

Any joy?

If so, look at the "bullet connectors " for the clutch switch under the tank on the left side of the frame.

• Like 1

My two favorite places to look for this issue is the interrupts/switches on the clutch lever and the kick stand.   Be VERY careful with the one on the lever.  There is a tiny spring and ball bearing that pushes against the micro-switch.  The other is on the kick stop.. It could have backed off...  I bypassed mine...  I wouldn't recommend that.

Ok WTF, I never had to do that before I changed starter and switch, can you explain why it starts this way now and thank you for this. I was pulling my hair out!!

If it's in neutral, and the neutral switch and middle relay are good, the sidestand switch wouldn't keep it from cranking over.

What year/ model is the bike, Agonza5?

I would start with the bullet connectors that come from the clutch safety switch:

DSCN1472.jpg

Here's (one of the many) the post(s) discussing them:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1778&p=15302

Shielded and groomed clutch connectors center screen:

IMG_2770.JPG

Since you have an '01, the next thing I would do is upgrade to High Current Relays, especially in the #1 (front/ Start) and #5 (back/ FI) positions.

Thanks docc, I will check it out. I had a bit of trouble yesterday riding home, I thought I could hear back fire not loud and loss of power until it shut off on me and the tachometer stop working also couldn't get it restarted after that.

Brand new starter and switch.

There's a starter switch on the handlebars, a push-button. I assume that's what you replaced. Czakky is suggesting that you look at the ignition switch, which is operated by the key. 

I had some difficulty with starting my LeMans recently. Other symptoms included that the headlight would flicker and it even turned off a few times (just the headlight, not the whole bike). All symptoms were cured when I installed new relays and made sure they were making good contact in the relay bases. In my case, the most forward relay base was very loose - so it started when it made good contact and didn't start otherwise. You could just try wiggling the relays in their bases while you try the starter button to see if you can cause the problem.

One more thing Agonza . Print a wiring diagram for your bike. In color if possible . Enlarge and learn it until you can draw trace every circuit and understand it w/o hesitation .

Thanks docc, I will check it out. I had a bit of trouble yesterday riding home, I thought I could hear back fire not loud and loss of power until it shut off on me and the tachometer stop working also couldn't get it restarted after that.

Battery flat I'd say. The tach stops below 10V. Obviously the charging system's not working. Could be a broken wire inside the alternator (one of the two thick yellow ones), could be the regulator. Or it could be the previously touched wiring (starter knob etc.). Unfortunately, though, it's quite often the regulator.

Hubert

• Like 1